Options

Which is better to take now MCITP SA 2008 or MCSA 2012

barcaalepbarcaalep Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I am taking the CCNA exam next month, then I am planning to take a Microsoft certificate not sure which one to take

I have 3 options :

1. take mcsa server 2012 which has 3 exams

2. take mctip server admin which has 3 exams but will be retire in july 2013 and they will change its name to mcsa ws 2008

3 take take mctip server(mcsa 2008 ) -option 2- then upgrade and take one upgrade exam to mcsa 2012 afterwards.

I was advised by a friend to go for option 3 as if I take option 1 I might not find many employers looking for mcsa 2012 and he said 2008 is number one in the market nowadays.

Someone else recommend I take mcsa 2012 (option 2) directly he said this is the better option as I can do MCSE server infrastructure 2012 straight afterwards by passing only 2 exams.

please help me I am really confusedicon_sad.gif.

Comments

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont know that it matters much, any way you cut it all 3 directions show the same basic thing.. A MCSA on 2012 vs 2008 should not make much difference to most employers. With that said you would be doing yourself a disservice if you do not do the 2012 test as the amount of new features is astonishing. The 2008 test will teach you a lot as well. If you can do option 3 otherwise option 1
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply. I feel I am still confused. icon_sad.gif

I have contacted microsoft training support official website and they sent me the following

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Certification Guidance Team.

It’s great to know that you are interested in obtaining a certificate for Windows Server. Please note that most MCTS, MCITP and MCPD paths will retire on July 31, 2013 - including this path.

I can recommend that you get the new Windows Server 2012 certifications instead. The MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification is a prerequisite for earning the MCSE: Server Infrastructure certification or the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure certification.
  • Options
    [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]I have just received this email from the support team at Microsoft in regards to the same question.
    [/FONT]
    still confused mcsa 2012 or mcitp then upgrade to 2012

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Hello ,[/FONT]

It’s great to know that you are interested in obtaining a certificate for Windows Server. Please note that most MCTS, MCITP and MCPD paths will retire on July 31, 2013 - including this path.

I can recommend that you get the new Windows Server 2012 certifications instead. The MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification is a prerequisite for earning theMCSE: Server Infrastructure certification or the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure certification.

New to certification? Start here.

• Options
    icademicadem Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    barcaalep wrote: »
    I have just received this email from the support team at Microsoft in regards to the same question.

still confused mcsa 2012 or mcitp then upgrade to 2012

Hello ,

I can recommend that you get the new Windows Server 2012 certifications instead. The MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification is a prerequisite for earning theMCSE: Server Infrastructure certification or the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure certification.

New to certification? Start here.

I am in the same decision of you.

What is it better? start the 2008 or the new 2013?

What did you do?

Could you help me?

thank you
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally, it depends on how many certs you want to take. If you are looking for the quicker path to getting the MCSE Server Infrastructure, I would recommend going for the 2012 MCSA and then the MCSE. While 2008 is still very much in use, 2012 will be taking over and employers would want someone with this cert, especially if you go and get the MCSE afterwards.

Now, if you have time and want both the 2008 and 2012, you can easily go for the MCSA 2008 first, then do the 70-417 upgrade exam to get both the 2008 and 2012. It's one more test essentially and if you do this back to back lots will tie over between the two along with the new changes in 2012. Basically you are looking at 1 more exam to get both, so that's a plus. Now, while the MCITP and MCTS expire in July next year, they will be renamed the MCSA Server 2008 certification. If you can pass all 3 of the server 2008 exams you'd get teh MCITP 2008 if you finish prior to the expiration of those certifications.

Myself, I have the MCITP: EDA, so I'm going straight into 2012 as my organization is already using server 2012 and 2008 isn't as big of a focus now.
  • Options
    icademicadem Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Personally, it depends on how many certs you want to take. If you are looking for the quicker path to getting the MCSE Server Infrastructure, I would recommend going for the 2012 MCSA and then the MCSE. While 2008 is still very much in use, 2012 will be taking over and employers would want someone with this cert, especially if you go and get the MCSE afterwards.

Now, if you have time and want both the 2008 and 2012, you can easily go for the MCSA 2008 first, then do the 70-417 upgrade exam to get both the 2008 and 2012. It's one more test essentially and if you do this back to back lots will tie over between the two along with the new changes in 2012. Basically you are looking at 1 more exam to get both, so that's a plus. Now, while the MCITP and MCTS expire in July next year, they will be renamed the MCSA Server 2008 certification. If you can pass all 3 of the server 2008 exams you'd get teh MCITP 2008 if you finish prior to the expiration of those certifications.

Myself, I have the MCITP: EDA, so I'm going straight into 2012 as my organization is already using server 2012 and 2008 isn't as big of a focus now.

Thank you for your support.
    I have not got a lot of experience in servers so i want to start from 0, first of all with the most basic.

It is very important to me know if the 2008 certification is going to be retired in july 2013, because i want to start know studying.
    Mcsa 2012 have not got the real books to prepare, isnt it?

thank you again
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    icadem wrote: »
    Thank you for your support.
    I have not got a lot of experience in servers so i want to start from 0, first of all with the most basic.

It is very important to me know if the 2008 certification is going to be retired in july 2013, because i want to start know studying.
    Mcsa 2012 have not got the real books to prepare, isnt it?

thank you again

The Server 08 exams are not expiring in 2013 neither is the OS. The OS will be around for a long time to come and so will the exams. The MCITP:SA moniker will be no more come july 2013 but it will then change from MCITP:SA to MCSA: Server 2008. The exams will be the same just the cert name is changing. You will be ok to take the exams for the next 2 years altealst I would say.
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would recommend starting with MCSA 2008.

Most bang for your buck
    3 exams get you MCSA AND MCITP: Server Administrator
    4 Exams get you the above two plus MCSA 2012 as was mentioned before.

You cant downgrade your 2012 cert to get 2008 as well.

Server 2008 is in wide use. Server 2012 will take years to get close to the install base as 2008. Might as well start where the demand is and with 1 test you are also completely up on new technology as well.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would definitely start with Windows 2008.
    Take those 3 exams and you will earn an MCSA 2008 and if you do them before July you will also get MCITP:SA. One exam after that and you can get the MCSA 2012.
    From there you can take 2 more exams and get the MCSE:SI.

6 exams in total and 4 titles. Not bad.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would start with at least MCITP/MCSA 2008 first, just because learning Windows 2008 is still very important. I don't think you're going to see wide adoption of Server 2012 for a year or so, and there will be lots and lots of Server 2008 for years to come. Then take the upgrade path to Server 2012.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    People are still weening off of Windows Server 2003. Itll be a while before 2008 goes anywhere.
  • Options
    milanchatterjeemilanchatterjee Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    While this discussion is going on, I would need just two information.

What is the exam fees for each paper?
    Also, I had been following the discussion regarding the validity of 2008 and requirment of 2012. I am interested in MCSE - Private Cloud. Just asking, if this discussion is valid for the Server Administrator part of MCSE - PC Exam.

Thanks

Milan Chatterjee from India
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For local pricing you may need to register at and check with Prometric testing center. It's about 150 USD in North America.

The best path for someone with no certifications to get to MCSE Private cloud is:

MCSA Server 2008 (Also MCITP: Server Administrator if completed by July)
    70-640, 70-642, 70-646

Upgrade to MCSA Server 2012
    70-417

Since MCSA Server 2012 is the core requirement for the MCSE you can now do:

MCSE Private Cloud
    70-247, 70-247

OR

MCSE: Server Infrastructure
    70-413, 70-414

AND

A few other MCSE's are only 2 exams away at this point as well.
  • Options
    colby_arcolby_ar Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    According to the MS Learning website, MCSE: Private Cloud only requires MCSA 2008.
  • Options
    tycoonbobtycoonbob Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MCSE: Private Cloud requires the two System Center exams (70-246 and 70-247), as well as your MCSA: Server 2012. If you already have your MCSA: Server 2008 (or MCITP: Server Administrator), that can by pass the MCSA: Server 2012 requirement until July, 2013...I think.

I don't have my MCSA: Server 2008, but I do have the MCSA: Server 2012 which is what counted toward my MCSE: Private Cloud.
  • Options
    milanchatterjeemilanchatterjee Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi All
    I have all the study materials regarding MCSE Private Cloud with WIn 2008. Can any one suggest on what should I practice on the materials which I read?

Thanks

Milan
  • Options
    WittykayWittykay Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone, I want to ask a question. I passed 70-642 and am presently studying for 70-680. i want to get certified for server adminstrator. Please i need an advice on what to do. Also can i get a job with 70-680?
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wittykay wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I want to ask a question. I passed 70-642 and am presently studying for 70-680. i want to get certified for server adminstrator. Please i need an advice on what to do. Also can i get a job with 70-680?

To obtain the server admin cert [MCSA:2008], you will need to also complete exam 70-640 and 70-646.
    You may be offered an interview for an entry level, low pay help desk job with the 70-680. Nobody just becomes a server admin. Most, if not all employers will not let anyone without experience touch their servers. You need a couple of years of lower end experience first.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    spongeymspongeym Member Posts: 35 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm going down the CCNA route myself at the moment before going down the MCSA/E route.

Have a read of this blog....
    MCSA 2008 or MCSA 2012: Which should you take?

That answered my question, I'm going down the 2012 route as a lot of agencies (I'm a contractor) have been after people with 2012 experience as companies are rebuilding their infrastructure from 2008 to 2012.
  • Options
    mesho_emadmesho_emad Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for infoicon_wink.gif
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did option 3, MCSA 2008 and then the upgrade to 2012.

Here's the one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet, though it may not apply to you. If you're working for a Microsoft partner, or hope to in the future, then the 2008 exams do you no good at this point. About 6 months ago or so, they ripped all the 2008 exams off of the eligibility list without warning.