Options

Commands???

edhindmanedhindman Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I just have a couple questions. I have been doing complete independent study on the CCNA. I will take my test next Monday. I feel pretty confident with everything except the commands. I have taken several practice exams and that is the only question that I miss. Do you think that I will fail the CCNA because of the commands? Also is there any advice that you could give me to help out?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, you will fail the CCNA exam if you do not know your way around the CLI. I would recommend going through the exam objectives at this point to see what Cisco wants you to know.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    practice more labs - commands are easy
  • Options
    Thank you, I appreciate it :)
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You do need practice on the real thing.
    After emulators/simulators, the next best option is to write out different scenarios and the commands that would apply to them. The problem with this is that it's only as good as your own research; the switch/router would check your commands but since you don't have it, you have to deeply check the manuals.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    tab and question mark are your help

you should know most basic commands by heart
    but some are enough if you just "know" them
    not by memory but for example if you are saving your config and you dont know the exact command and type

copy run ?
    and see the alternatives
    oh its copy running-config startup-config

You KNOW which command is, just didnt had it memorized.
    Its very different of going around trying commands until you hit the one that works
    I do agree though to go back and lab
    use the techexams.net ccent labs
    they are very useful
    meh
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make sure you know your "show" commands well. Those will probably be the most important
  • Options
    Thank you very much. I do know 'show' and the copy run commands, and others like that. I was so overwhelmed about all the different commands and didn't know which ones I should memorize. I truly appreciate it. :)
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How well do you know the show commands?

I thought I knew the show commands, I could tell you in a whip the commands. Then I took the test, I realized that's just half the battle.

I'll give you one example: "Show ip interface brief" Can you tell me what the output means? What should alert you to problems? Do that for the commands you think you know. I know it's a lot but if you can't nail the output, troubleshooting and finding problems across a network will be time consuming with all the "?" uses.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to reschedule your test if you don't know the commands. If your independent study was just reading a bunch of books and reading about how stuff works without getting into the CLI to configure it, you're not gonna have a good day when you take the test.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%