Options

Registered to take CCNA today.

bamahonkybamahonky Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well I went ahead and registered for my CCNA today. I am scheduled to take it the first of next month. I have been through all of the Skillport courses the army has to offer. I have also re-studied all of my training material from all my military courses from last year. Now I am working my way through the Sybex book. I have subnetting down to a T. I am doing great on the commands, OSI, and TCP/IP. My only issue is with protocols. The book seems to open things up. I figure a week or so on it, and I will be good.

Comments

• Options
    mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck Bamahonky! Mostly Protocols are easier to study mate, most of protocols used in Real world -

TCP - For Connection Establishment and Send Files - Low speed, in order retransmit if failed to send to the destination host.
    UDP - For VOIP and Video conferencing, High Speed - Not in order,

SNMP - Simple Network management protocols
    ARP - Address Resoloution Protocols
    RARP - Reverse Address Resolution protocols
    IMAP - Internet Message Access Protocol

if you want to study those materials probably if you had a Sybex Todd Lammle 7th Edition CCNA Book try to redirect to these pages and chapters, Chapter 3 - Introduction to TCP/IP and 87 page to 94, You'll cover all the protocols :D With the notes :D Lammle is awesome <3
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Good luck, Bama. If I remember correctly, I believe the Sybex books come with a CD with flashcards on it. I wouldn't stress too much though. The CCENT was more focused on various protocols and port numbers but the CCNA exam is more focused on a mix of routing/switch theory and the commands to make it happen. I would advise you to work on understanding VTP and how to configure it, STP and how you determine the root ports, the routing protocols, and, as always, how to subnet. :) Good luck
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For CCENT, protocols focus on TCP, UDP, ARP, port numbers also, the way PING works, and also the way switches foward frames. There isn't much of VTP, STP yes but only the very basics of it. In ICND 2 is where it is covered much more.

Edit: excuse me for jumping on this without reading twice, thought you were going ICND1 and ICND2 path, just noticed you are taking CCNA. In that case, disregard what I said, everything I mentioned is very important jeje.
  • Options
    bamahonkybamahonky Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I seem to be hung up on RIP, EIGRP, and OSPF. How in depth does the CCNA test these skills? Everything else I seem to pick up great.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Routing protocols are a vital part of the exam.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would say that you need to understand how they work as far as the theory behind them and how to configure them basically. I didn't notice very complex troubleshooting-oriented topics on the exam itself but in the real world, you'll need to know how to troubleshoot those protocols
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com