ICDN1 Simlet,Pratice Exam questions?

StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
Hello,

A question for you that have sat the ICDN1 exam recently. I understand that there are a form of practical/simlet questions on the exam?

Could you please provide a bried insight to the structure of these questions? A question which I also have is are you allowed to make use of the "?" command to make sure you are entering the correct command and also checking command parameters.

Are there any places which you could suggest for good practice exam examples of these simlet/practical questions so I can get use to the format/question type which are similar to the actual exam.

Any other information about the practical/simlet questions would be much greatly appreciated!

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1) Yes.

2) The Question Mark: Not a guarantee. This is a double-edged sword - If you rely on the ? mark, you may spend too much time guessing as to what command to use. Every moment matters on the test and you can NOT revisit skipped questions.

3) See Signature for simlet/practical places.

4) Study the modes (Exec, Privilege,...), command syntax, command output. Know Show commands - what you should see, what it means, you should be able to spot things that aren't supposed to be there.

Practice bears nothing but fruit.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    Thanks; I however love the ? command. It always ensures me that I'm not entering a half complete command.
    You may be tripped up on a question that'll ask the syntax. Just a warning ahead of time! :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Thanks; I shell try and remember the exact syntax. - Just to also clarify why we are on subjet, after all changes i make to a router should i issue a copy run start command? Would cisco mark you down if you don't issue this command after config changes?
    Definitely know the harder syntaxes inside and out. Especially for CCNA, if you go into CCNA without memorizing the syntax for the commands, you're a ballsy person. I'll just leave that at that :)

No idea if they would mark you for not writing the configuration. But I would definitely do a "copy run start" if the configuration is good, and everything works as intended. I've seen and heard this discussed before - but I did do the copy run start.

With that said; might be good to do a copy start tftp so you can backup the configuration and then go back to it incase of unforseen problems. No one really knows how the sims are graded, the weight and importance. If they know, they won't tell.

Haha thanks for your input. Yeah I wonder how indepth you could actually go with the commands, you could literally spend hours on the simlets with all the possible commands which could be isssued; I guess the correct commanding will never be known!
    Chief, spending hours on the simlets & GNS3. I spent days and nights pounding out commands. Remembering what show commands bring up what goodies. Round-about ways to find other information, if possible.

I took the ICND2 exam twice and they have thrown wrenches into the exam that'll test your knowledge. I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to prepare you. CLI for ICND2 is very important.

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Chief, spending hours on the simlets & GNS3. I spent days and nights pounding out commands. Remembering what show commands bring up what goodies. Round-about ways to find other information, if possible.

I took the ICND2 exam twice and they have thrown wrenches into the exam that'll test your knowledge. I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to prepare you. CLI for ICND2 is very important.

I'll bare that in mind thanks. Just to clarify what's the practical aspect like for ICND1 because i'm taking that test next week? I do know my commands for that material, and i know all of the content quite well. I will look at practicing a lot more labs for the CCNA (ICDN2)
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The best thing you can do is utilize the Boson practice test software - In my opinion it is identical to the format Cisco will present to you in the exam.
    YFZblu wrote: »
    The best thing you can do is utilize the Boson practice test software - In my opinion it is identical to the format Cisco will present to you in the exam.

Fantastic. I will look into this.

Could either of you or anyone clarify what routing protocols you have to know for the ICDN1 exam? Is it just static rounting routes and RIP and RIPV2 which you need to know?
    You'll need to know the details of both. Can't go into too much detail about what we've seen, for the NDA we all signed :P

That's not really a fair answer to your question, but I'll answer it another way: After taking some practice exams you'll figure out where you're weakest. At that point - focus on those areas of knowledge and theory and lab. This is how we figure out what to focus on more than other things. If you're strong in one area, and weaker in something else, you can focus more attention into re-reading, re-chewing, labbing those areas. This is what I did, My switching was horrible for my ICND2. I didn't lab. I failed my test and guess what was my weakest area? Switching. I went back, went berserk on Switching labs - Passed. Obiviously, seeing the test helps too. For one, it calms the nerves because you've already sat the exam; nothing scary is going to pop out.

I know. It's a heck of a lot of content and theory and a big fat book with a lot of white pages. It does get easier. You just need to put the time and summarize all those pages into bullets-- In your own words. I say that because if you phrase it in your words, you know what you mean. You ate (read), You chewed (Thought About), and then spit it back out as notes and things that stuck in your mind (Notes).

Patience and Time.

Just remember: Practice bears nothing but fruit.

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    StussyNz wrote: »
    Fantastic. I will look into this.

Could either of you or anyone clarify what routing protocols you have to know for the ICDN1 exam? Is it just static rounting routes and RIP and RIPV2 which you need to know?

You got it - I know this sounds like obvious advice, but if you're just looking to get through the exam I would take a look at the objectives more closely; often times you will find that the exam doesn't want or expect you to know everything in the book.

Good luck!
  • TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    recently i took the exam. I tried ? a few times, and it worked all the times. But sometimes, there are commands that are disabled. So ? will not show all the commands that you are expecting to see..
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    Also, i took the practice exam on Odom`s ICND1 book, and simlets were almost identical.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
    TurK-FX wrote: »
    Also, i took the practice exam on Odom`s ICND1 book, and simlets were almost identical.

Thanks I will look into these simlets!