Options

Seeing the same SSID twice

wavewave Member Posts: 342
Hi guys,

I'm completely new to wireless deployments but am currently stepping sideways to deploy a small wifi network with a Cisco 2500 WLAN Controller and 4x 1041 APs. Currently I have two APs up and running through the controller and I'm seeing the same SSID twice when using some wireless software on laptops e.g. DW WLAN. Using the windows wifi manager and on Apple devices I am only seeing the network's SSID once.

Have I got something configured incorrectly or is this completely normal i.e. some software can tell there are two separate APs. I'm wanting to achieve seamless client roaming.

Thanks!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is just from my CCENT studies but don't the SSID's on AP's have to be the same to allow for roaming?
  • Options
    They are the same in this case

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Shot in the dark here, but if those are dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) APs the SSID will show up twice in scanning software. OS wireless interfaces compatible with dual-band SSIDs, which are targeted at end-users, will display the SSID as one network, as intended. The scanning software is going to show SSIDs available on all bands it detects, since that is the intent of the software.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The 1041 is a 2.4Ghz AP.

Scanning software will be able to see the SSID coming from each AP, this is normal.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Check the MAC address broadcasting those SSID's most likely they are all different. From different AP's
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Yes scanning software will show up with different SSIDs.

Make sure to turn on dynamic channel assignment on the controller (i believe it's off by default) so that the controller auto selects the channels for proper roaming.
  • Options
    Appreciate the comments everyone. This is a fun little project!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012