microsoft questions/advice

monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I currently am seeking advice due to the fact that i have no idea where to start, as far as my education goes i graduated from Lincoln Tech and i have my Net+, i am currently working doing application support but its not for me, i am not learning anything when it comes to troubleshooting PCs, servers, networking, etc. my overall question is where do I start? my ultimate goal for now like everyone is to be a network admin. I am thinking of taking windows 7 exam and try to look for a job that is IT help desk, is windows 7 exam still good to have? i saw on microsoft that its discontinued July 2013. the reason i need advice is becasue i am unhappy at my current position and need a fast change.

Thank you for eveyones help and advice in advance

Comments

• CISPhDCISPhD Member Posts: 114
    monorion wrote: »
    ... my ultimate goal for now like everyone is to be a network admin.

I think you mean desktop admin... Keeping in mind there is a difference between Desktop admin, Server admin, and Network admin. If you're interested in desktop admin, the Windows 7 exam is still very valid... Many organizations won't exactly be climbing over each other to move to Windows 8. Most offices are still trying to get off Windows XP before EOL. I'd also encourage you to take the CompTIA foundation certs, such as A+, Sec+, etc... It shows you have a very solid foundation. You may also consider the Microsoft Office cert series.

Provide us with some additional feedback on your 1, 2, and 5 year goals and we can provide some more exact advice. :)
  • monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your advice, quick question for you. do you know if the MTA exams are good to have? i was thinking if i can get all of them it would look good and help me for further MS exams.

Thank you
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It looks to me that you could already land an entry level help desk job easily.
  • CISPhDCISPhD Member Posts: 114
    Thank you for your advice, quick question for you. do you know if the MTA exams are good to have? i was thinking if i can get all of them it would look good and help me for further MS exams.

Thank you

The MTAs can only help, but I'd suggest you shoot for something a bit lower to the ground to start. Check out the link below to see what you're looking at. The last post hit the nail though; It seems you have all the certs you would need to put you in the ranks of viable candidates for an entry level IT job. Shoot your resume into the IT Jobs / Degrees thread and have the crew critique it for you. :)

Microsoft Technology Associate Certification l MTA Exams l Entry-Level Developer Exams
  • jacobdjacobd Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There is no need to get panic.Change sometimes is quite good for one's carrier.Let me tell you one thing that if you want to be admin then you must know the there is difference between network admin server admin and desktop admin.Window 7 exam is still useful for some one who is looking for being desktop admin.And as per your qualification it seems like you can do very well in desktop job.

TAE40110 Certificate IV Upgrade
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    get your foot on your first job
    which you can get with your current qualifications.
    work in a good resume and apply to jobs
    at the same time get your ccna
    those would be the all common basic steps I think
    meh
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    get your foot on your first job
    which you can get with your current qualifications.
    work in a good resume and apply to jobs
    at the same time get your ccna
    those would be the all common basic steps I think

I would also reccomend this. Get your foot in the door in a Help desk position. Continue to study towards Certs and then start to work your way up.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

Thank you

I wouldn't bother with the MTA's. The ROI isn't there. I'd work on the 680 exam and then perhaps the 685. That would get you the Enterprise Support Tech cert and provide a good foundation for troubleshooting. Windows 7 isn't going away for a long time and the knowledge gained will help greatly. Following up with a CCNA would help, too.