Options

What Tech are you thankful for?

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'm thankful for 30" Monitors!
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am only thankful for 24" monitors. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Aww..15.4" here. allout.gif

Thankful for phones with 4g.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    23" and 19". Don't even need more, although it would be cool to have a Retina display for my desktop :)
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As much as I love monitors, I'm feeling most thankful for flash media. SSDs have completely and finally changed the computer experience, which had largely been stagnant since the first quad-core processors came out. There was simply little need for faster processors and more RAM. I think we'd largely be content with 4GB of RAM and a dual-core processor to this day if it weren't for SSDs.

Other devices have similarly come a long way as a result of flash. Remember when portable music players had hard drives? Heck, remember when there were portable music players? Cheap, fast, reliable flash made the smartphone and tablet possible just as much as the progress of ARM CPUs.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Spell checker... it might not look like it but bad as my spelling is here, it is 100 times worse with pen and paper.

I would never have got through Uni or a Job with out a computer to help. when I started at at uni I would write out an essay 4 or 5 times (final draft) before I was happy it was OK to go. Now with a computer I can type out my thoughts as fast as the come and then go back to tidy it up later.

Yep defiantly the word processor and what it has lead to.. that and google of course. :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    I'm thankful for streaming audio, MP3s, audio books, and whatever devices that play them. My commutes and slow times were more productive because I could actually learn something new whenever and wherever.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I am thankful for the printer that prints my paycheck!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■

You still get a physical paycheck? I think I've received maybe five or six in my life. It takes a pay period or three for direct deposit to kick in at most companies.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565

On that note, I'm thankful for the automated transaction process that shifts funds from my employer's bank account to mine via direct deposit.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am thankful for Internet on mobile phones, remember the days that you had to go to an internet cafe to browse the net?
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Controllable combustion. Yeah, call me old school.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Spell checker...

Oh man so true! I'm not a native English speaker and I really need it sometimes!

The built in spell checkers from firefox and Microsoft are ok, but I just copy my horrible attempt at words and paste them into Google and 97% of the time it knows!
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'm thankful for cheap tablets. My $160 Nexus 7 has proven to be perfect for CBT Nuggets and reading books almost anywhere.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My smartphone and 25" monitors :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm thankful for the internet. It's been such a great resource to me and it's removed so many limitations on knowledge and communication.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mostly thankful for the thing which boils my tea-water :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jmritenour wrote: »
    On that note, I'm thankful for the automated transaction process that shifts funds from my employer's bank account to mine via direct deposit.

This! And the internet.

Also, nice thread Rogue.
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Virtual Machines...... I can test so many things in the office that would have otherwise required me to travel to a client site.
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely the internet and the direct deposit transaction
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Commodore 64. That was the one device that got me interested in computers at an early age.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Solid State Drives. From my desktop to my laptops both at home and at work. Next stop...getting some to put in our VMware environment at work. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    im thankful for the TE community, and youtube, and wifi icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Youtube, netflix, Direct Deposit, Samsung Galaxy S3, Jelly Bean, Solid State Drives, Good Headphones, I seriously could go on and on.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Smartphone. At this point I don't think I could get through my day without it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely gonna go with the smartphone
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    E-readers, tablets and smartphones (GPS and mobile email capability mostly)
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    USB sticks/flash storage. Two decades ago I used to take two bags to school, one for books, one for floppy disks. Great for frequent data backups, moving data, reliable and secure.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Lots of tech.

The Internet-- it has been useful in ways that would be beyond words to express.

My "new" Cruz PS47 tablet-- does everything I've needed an Android tablet to do (and quickly!), even if it doesn't support Google's apps.

Smartphones-- I've been able to keep up with lots of things in my world lately that I would have been lagging on before.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm thankful for Air conditioning, without that I would not have survived this many Texas summers, plus it keeps our computing equipment cool! icon_wink.gif
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi