Options

Car Insurance

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Hey guys,

I am just wondering what car insurance do you guys have?
Did you get any problem with it during your claim?

I am planning to get Geico since it is the cheapest based on the online price quote they provided me.
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Being prior service, I use USAA. The rate is about the same as Geico. But USAA addresses me by my rank and has stellar customer service.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out Amica Insurance. I've had them for over 10 years now.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I use Progressive
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    I think you have to be in military to be able to get the USAA.

Did you guys have any issues with claims?
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Use State Farm. No real complaints. Actually while I was in a claim for a guy that turned in front of me, his insurance said your car is totaled. The repairs came to just over $4000 on a 1999 Toyota Camry in 2007 with 170,000 miles on it. I told them the car is worth more than that, it has alloy rims, a spoiler, power seats, windows, doorlocks, airbags, power mirrors, and premium sound. The guy goes, oh I didn't know it had all those features, okay, then the car is worth more so we have some more room, I'll be in touch. They call me back 2 days later, and conveniently found "more damage" after thier first assessment of the car so now the total repairs come to $5300 and NOW the car is totaled. I was stunned. The car was paid off, ran beautifully, had ALL the features i liked: Comfort, power (220hp V6), the rims, the spoiler, power almost everything, above mid 20's for mileage, and very dependable. It was also paid off and I was living paycheck to paycheck. They were going to cut me a check for like $4300 for "what they thought it was worth". There was no way I would find a car even NEAR that level of features and dependability for less than 5 grand at that time. Id have to get some 4 cylinder domestic POS that would likely die in 2 years.

I ended up getting a little more on the worth of the car by referencing some values i found online and such, and they said well, now we cant cover it, the gentleman we cover doesn't have enough coverage. Again, stunned, how does one not have enough coverage to cover an 8 year old common car (at the time), what if he turned in front of a porsche or something? $4000 wouldnt fix a scratched headlamp and a dinged bumper! They go sorry, you'll have to use your own insurance company... and hang up on me. That company's name? Progressive.

I call State Farm, they go so they aren't covering it? Im like no they referred me to you and hung up on me. They go, we'll take a look and then go after them when we are done. I get a call back NEXT DAY, they say no problem, car's worth like a little over $5k, we can fix it for $4300, you're good, no total, we'll have it back in a week.

Still drive the car today, still runs great at 220,000 miles. Still no car payment. Still use State Farm.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys
    I went ahead and got Geico. It says it is 6 months, so hopefully I won't get any problem with Geico.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use State Farm, too. Mostly because of what Paperlantern said.

Your insurance will be valued when you need it. Yes, when you're sitting on the side of the road because another toyota Corolla slams into the side of your car (Girl was texting, go figure). All the fancy advertisements don't mean anything if you're left High and Dry with no one to cover your back.

I had to use my insurance for multiple times:
    1. Toyota Corolla (Totalled)
    2. RX-8 at the dealership. (I had a Viper System, auto-start. Guy left it in gear, no parking brake - I start the car while in the building. -Bam- into the pillar.)
    3. Jetta at work. (Someone hit the front end, cracking the headlamp, messing the bumper and front-side panel)

They've never been my fault. State Farm didn't raise my insurance rates. My cars get fixed where I want it... I scope out the local body shops, talk shop and such. If there's a place I like, I give them my business, recommend to others. No problems.

I had Nation Wide. Nation Wide isn't on your side. :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Being prior service, I use USAA.

This. I believe banking services are open to non-military, but no the insurance side.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use a company that was called Merastar, until last month or two. I don't know their new name. Anyhow, I get a very good rate for my driving record (currently have 10 points for speeding ;)) and I have an accident from two winters ago... 3-4 mph ice skid... other guy's car was fine... my bumper cover shattered because of how cold it was (about -5 F that day). Anyhow, they came to me to get pictures and wrote a check that was a very comfortable amount.

USAA is great for vets, no doubt.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    @powerfool,
    My friend was in the army before and told me about the USAA how great it is. Unfortunately, I am not qualified to join USAA. I think even Navy Federal Credit Union is only for military, but not too sure about this.

@Roguetadhg,
    Do you have accident forgiveness with state farm? (can't remember the name but something like that)
    Studying:
    Reading: