Options

Free server monitoring software

truckfittruckfit Banned Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Can someone here recommend me a good free server monitoring software.

Which will let me know when disk space or cpu or memory is low?

It also has to be able to monitor websites.

It has to run on windows so no naigos or cactai,

It also has to be free and no trials.

I tried the spiceworks software but did not like it.

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are willing to install PHP and MySQL then you can run Cacti under Windows using IIS - which is what we used to do until we got IPMonior - which unfortunately is not free.

Apart from that my first google hit was that (I suppose you tried that already?):

Free Windows Server Monitoring, Free Windows Desktop monitoring with Windows Health Monitor Free Tool
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Might look into spiceworks.

Edit: See you already did. I didn't like it much at first either, but "for free and runs on windows" it is pretty full featured. I just used a separate instance for the servers and network gear - it does bog down if you try to watch too many machines.
  • Options
    Chard26Chard26 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Spiceworks is pretty good,
  • Options
    BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Servers Alive - limited to 10 checks for the free version

PRTG for traffic graphing, again 10 checks for free
  • Options
    truckfittruckfit Banned Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    can spiceworks monitor excute a script or run a program when an event happens?
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Check with your Server manufacture Dell, HP etc... has for free monitoring programs if you have their product. Dell's is called Open Manage Server Administrator Essentials it's free just look it up.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    maca87maca87 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

In my company we have used several Open Source monitoring tools, Nagios, OpenNMS, Icinga and Pandora FMS. We have currently chosen to use Pandora FMS, for ease of setup and versatility of functions. I am currently monitoring 5 switches via SNMP, 1 router, 50 Windows hosts with different services and applications and another 10-15 unix.
    The Opensource version of Pandora FMS has no limit agents and I find enough equipment to monitor this. Then have alerts generated for other critical states and works perfectly.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    https://www.itefix.no/i2/nagwin <---Nagios for Windows. You won't be able to monitor a lot (10 hosts I believe), but it will definitely do what you are looking to do.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    xaxxax Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've a question about nagios. Is possible to monitoring network traffic if switch/router hasn't snmp?
    For example, with nic in promiscuous mode. Thanks.

For the topic. My proposal is the ntop software.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not to hijack the thread, but for those of you who use or have used (including OP) SpiceWorks what are some of its disadvantages or things that it does not do really well? Do you guys know if it has an API?