Adding RDM disk to VM

MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
Is it possible to get an iscsi target from Openfiler to be used as an available rdm disk type to add to a vm, trying to set up clustering across boxes. Have the LUN mounted on a host, shows as this:




When adding hard disk to vm, rdm disk type is grayed out.

Comments

  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,548 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is it already storing VMFS on the host? If it is, you cannot add it as an RDM to a VM.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

    Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    Essendon wrote: »
    Is it already storing VMFS on the host? If it is, you cannot add it as an RDM to a VM.

    Yes, there was a datastore mapped to the target on openfiler, deleted the datastore and can now add a raw disk to the VM, thanks a lot for the help.
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    So continuing on with setup of clusters, in creating the 2nd cluster node on separate host, Lowes's book lists a step to add RDM's to 2nd node. You are to 'Use an Existing virtual disk and navigate to the location of the VMDK proxy file'. The RDM file created on 1st node was stored with the Virtual machine when it was created. When i try to browse to location of the vmdk file of 1st node I can't see it. The file is sitting in a datastore on the 1st node(host). How do i get to the vmdk file of the 1st node? Do I need to delete the RDM on the 1st node and add it again using a datastore the 2nd node can access?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,548 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From the book, it wants you to choose the same SCSI values for the RDM on the second VM. Maybe that's why you cannot see it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

    Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    Essendon wrote: »
    From the book, it wants you to choose the same SCSI values for the RDM on the second VM. Maybe that's why you cannot see it.


    You don't choose the SCSI value until Advanced options, the vmdk file has to be chosen first.

  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,548 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is it a pRDM or a vRDM? I dont think you can use a vRDM for clustering purposes. Try using a pRDM instead, if you havent already. If this doesnt work, I'm out of suggestions.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

    Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    So continuing on with setup of clusters, in creating the 2nd cluster node on separate host, Lowes's book lists a step to add RDM's to 2nd node. You are to 'Use an Existing virtual disk and navigate to the location of the VMDK proxy file'. The RDM file created on 1st node was stored with the Virtual machine when it was created. When i try to browse to location of the vmdk file of 1st node I can't see it. The file is sitting in a datastore on the 1st node(host). How do i get to the vmdk file of the 1st node? Do I need to delete the RDM on the 1st node and add it again using a datastore the 2nd node can access?

    You need to use a datastore both hosts can see i.e. a SAN.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    dave330i wrote: »
    You need to use a datastore both hosts can see i.e. a SAN.


    Will an iscsi target using openfiler work?
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    Will an iscsi target using openfiler work?

    No idea. Never tried it on openfiler.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    Have a VM on 1 host, need to make it's RDM vmdk file available to a VM on second ESXi host. I know it's not supported and may not work but trying to setup MSCS between two Srvr 2008 VM's using an iscsi target in openfiler.

    How do you mask a VM's Boot Lun and RDM LUN with the same host ID to 2 different ESXi hosts, need the second VM to be able to access first VM's datastore.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    Have a VM on 1 host, need to make it's RDM vmdk file available to a VM on second ESXi host. I know it's not supported and may not work but trying to setup MSCS between two Srvr 2008 VM's using an iscsi target in openfiler.

    How do you mask a VM's Boot Lun and RDM LUN with the same host ID to 2 different ESXi hosts, need the second VM to be able to access first VM's datastore.

    The RDM needs to exist in SAN (Openfiler for you). In the 2nd VM, use the add disk > add existing disk option.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    The RDM has been created from iscsi target on openfiler, just can't get the 2nd VM on other host to see the datastore holding VM 1's vmdk file, when i try to add 2nd hard disk to 2nd VM, this is all i can see, which is storage on 2nd VM's host.





    Openfiler is a VM on 1st host, don't know if that could cause a problem. Would think that since this all being done in Vcenter all datastores across all hosts would be visible. Do I need a datastore cluster?

    This is RDM created on 1st VM.

  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is the 2nd host connected to Openfiler?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
Sign In or Register to comment.