How to get started in the database field?

JVSquillaJVSquilla Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am currently a student pursuing a degree in Management Information Systems. I am interested in the field of database administration. From my understanding, a lot of people have sort of just evolved into those roles from other IT jobs. So my question to you is, How do you go about getting into the field of working with databases? What would be a good first job to have on this career path? I will be taking a semester off and am thinking about studying for the A+ Certification as a start, would this be beneficial?

I also do not have any IT experience besides pursuing my degree

Comments

• kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    do you have a good foundation for computers and basic systems?
    like printers, do you know what an impact printer is? configure a printer server?
    how to build a computer (this may sound DUH, but I mean like really, what are jumpers? understand cpu logical map?)
    stuff like that
    if yes, skip the A+ (basically A+ is good for IT foundations)

w/e your answer is about the A+, go through MS certification path.
    Someone in here can point you (or just visit the MS forums righ here in techexams) to what MS certifications are good for becoming a professional with MS DBs

Also, its very important you understand the basics of programming and scripting
    because you will be doing it A LOT as a DBA
    As time goes you will develop your own scripts and so on
    meh
  • halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    I believe MIS is more on Information Systems such as from SAP,Oracle etc. You should focus on what you are studying - Get knowledge on Database Management, Programming, IT Management etc. There is no point of skipping a semester to get A+. Correct me if I am wrong. :)
    To get experience - work for free or start your own tiny biz by putting ads online for computer repairs/ software development if you do or anything which you want related to your studies. Work in your University/College is a good option too.
  • JVSquillaJVSquilla Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the advice, I do want a firm background on PC hardware so I think I will take the A+ exams. I am just wondering if a DBA will really use that information? And Yes, you are also correct about the MIS degree being geared more towards information systems such as SAP and Oracle, hence my interest in databases :). Also, I am taking the semester off to travel abroad and since I will have about 5 months or so off when I return, I was thinking of studying for some certifications or reading books. I have also looked at some of the MS certifications and I have searched job descriptions around the net for DBA. It seems too me that they are looking for SQL Server and some programming language. Any advice on that?
    In which year are you of your MIS degree? Oracle,SAP and Microsoft provides training and certifications for Database, Programming Languages and the Information System solutions they provide. You can look into that.
  • JVSquillaJVSquilla Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a Senior going into my MIS degree, but still have a considerable amount of time before graduating. I would like to use the time I have off to absorb as much knowledge about databases as I can. I have been looking into Microsoft Certifications and am thinking about picking up some books on SQL. Do you have any other suggestions?