Options

I really need some guidance/suggestions - Help!

rabcatirabcati Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have read a few threads and you all seem very friendly and knowledgeable so I'm hoping this is the right place.
I am a UK resident, my story is as follows - I went to university for 4 years and graduated with a degree in 'Computer Engineering' (I was going to provide a link to the course but it seems they have changed it to Computer and Communications Systems Engineering)

With the help of my brother I then found a job at Dell doing 1st line technical support. I stayed there for a about a year but my timekeeping was horrendous and after a few disciplinary meetings they had to let me go. Desperate for a job I took a dead end customer service advisor role and wasted the last 4 years of my life doing that! At the end of September I decided enough was enough so resigned and am now trying to sort myself out before its too late.

My best friend is always telling me to get into SQL as he sees his colleagues doing well at it. I checked the compTIA site and one of the career paths is Database Admin. I'm not crazy about networking so I think that would be the better choice. What would you guys recommend? My brother has no degree but studied for his A+ and is now working in Prague doing IT. Its kind of ironic how that has worked out. He still has his material kicking about, is it worth doing myself?

I just recieved an email from a e-careers site which has a MCITP TRAINING PACKAGE. Does that look like something worth doing? So I have a quite a few questions, would very much appreciate some advice. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    It mostly comes down to what do you enjoy most and what are you good at. Just because other people are successful at SQL doesn't mean that you will be or that you'll enjoy working with it.

Before any of us can really help with anything YOU need to decide what YOU want. This is a great place for resources once you figure that part out.
  • Options
    StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    It mostly comes down to what do you enjoy most and what are you good at. Just because other people are successful at SQL doesn't mean that you will be or that you'll enjoy working with it.

Before any of us can really help with anything YOU need to decide what YOU want. This is a great place for resources once you figure that part out.

Can't highlight this enough. You don't want to be stuck in a "Dead end job" like your previous customer focused Role. Find something that you enjoy doing and then get pursue it!