Options

Completey stuck :(. Need help and push in the right direction

2»

Comments

• Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    I have ADD and I can get side tracked easily like just now in fact I was reading ICND 2 book on Safari Books Online for 10 mins and went to youtube, this forum, and Amazon a few times when I should be reading lol. But I always force myself to get back at it and remind myself why i'm studying hard and to accomplish my goals for my family.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say if you're just going for ICND1, you probably know the material and reading another book isn't going to benefit you much. If anything, labbing with something like packet tracer will probably be the best preparation for the exam once you understand the concepts. I think when it comes to cisco exams, labbing is more important then memorization.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It also wouldn't be a bad idea to read some network + material either just to cover some basic concepts of networking. Understanding is everything. Memorization is a waste of time in my opinion if you actually ever plan on using those skills. A lot of the concepts might be hard to grasp until you actually see the practical use for them. CBT nuggets does a good job of explaining why certain technologies came about and started to replace older technologies. I think those videos plus a decent book and packet tracer should be plenty to get you through the exam so long as you understand basic networking concepts. If you come across something you don't understand and it isn't thoroughly explained, look it up. I think following the labs in the cbt nugget videos should get you pretty comfortable for the exam as it's more simulation based rather than question and answer.
  • Options
    blueoceansblueoceans Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    W Stewart wrote: »
    Understanding is everything. Memorization is a waste of time in my opinion if you actually ever plan on using those skills.

I agree 100%. Every time I have to memorize tables like for example speed, frequenz etc. of different WLAN's, I have a really hard time doing so as memorizing tables is a waste of time in my opinion.

Question on the side, are there labs out there that display a situation and you have to figure out what's wrong with it?
    Or similar tasks?

Cheers,
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jsb515 wrote: »
    I have ADD and I can get side tracked easily like just now in fact I was reading ICND 2 book on Safari Books Online for 10 mins and went to youtube, this forum, and Amazon a few times when I should be reading lol. But I always force myself to get back at it and remind myself why i'm studying hard and to accomplish my goals for my family.

I know the feeling. I'm slacking on my One-Note for Chapter 3 on Linux+... I've been at the second command for the last 2 hours.

I think I was on Chapter 2 for the last 3 days? Been really bad at my Linux+ studying. But I've been doing the exercises, nailing the commands and the such. I can vi like a pro.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    My Linux+ studies have been all drowned out by my school courses. I need to get back on it, but I wont be able to really until starting this break since I am taking WAY too many hours right now.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blueoceans wrote: »
    Arghs.. just noticed that the Trainsignal videos I got from work are the old ones icon_sad.gif. CBTNuggets and Exam Guide Book it is.

Take 2 starts now.

The CBT is kinda old too, but they are still really good, I have the TS from Chris Bryant, and it's still relevant, mayba some syntax diferences if you are working with a more updated IOS, but that's about it. CBT is really good though as well, and not as boring.