I'm a CCNP at last

MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
Had my TSHOOT exam today and passed!! Got a 986/1000, but got all the trouble tickets right.

Started my CCNP journey right after I got my CCNA in August 2011, so well over a year, and now I finally made it. Feels great! I was looking back for a thread from August 2011 where I claimed I would complete ROUTE in a month or something like that, which was right when I started studying for it. And then said that I'd get the CCNP in 3-4 months total time (with no real experience). I said that because I had the most motivation/determination in the world at that point. And the summer was all mine (no job/school), so I believed I could do it. It's pretty laughable that over a year has passed since then, but I'm happy I reached my goal. I couldn't go back far enough to find that post, but I did find a thread where I was eating my words after going at it hard for a month's time.

So anyone trying to blaze through these exams might want to take notice, that it's not gonna be that easy! I was studying 8 hrs a day for all of August 2011 (but if you have experience or are a flat out genius anything's possible. I just wanna give you my experience):

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/69661-my-route-progress.html#post560398

Now I'm trying to figure out what's next. I'll probably take a break for a few weeks, but after that some thoughts are CCNA-V, CCNA-S, JNCIA-Junos, read BGP then MPLS books, or possibly the OSCP. Was thinking about that last one because I figure having those skills will help me better understand the importance of locking down the network/end stations. And it would help me branch out a bit.

And thank you to everyone on the forum because I've learned a ton of stuff from the people here and received valuable advice.
Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi

Comments

  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Congratulations! I love coming here and reading all of the "I passed" threads because it helps to keep me motivated in my own studies!

  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    It's not a race but a marathon! Congrats!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

    Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Congrats!!! Awesome news!!

    ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg CompTIA A+, Network+. Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome man! change your signature :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

  • mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    congrats, big achievement to reach your goal. Impressive score too!
    _____________________________________
    CCNP ROUTE - passed 20/3/12
    CCNP SWITCH - passed 25/10/12
    CCNP TSHOOT - passed 11/12/12




  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @MrBrian - congrats on passing the CCNP! icon_cheers.gif

    @mattau -good luck on the TSHOOT! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Thanks everyone!

    mattau you getting close to sitting Tshoot?
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    exam booked on Dec 11 :P cant wait to get this thing over with. Been a long long journey to say the least.

    oh yeah and also, did you get the email from cisco to say congrats shortly after ?
    _____________________________________
    CCNP ROUTE - passed 20/3/12
    CCNP SWITCH - passed 25/10/12
    CCNP TSHOOT - passed 11/12/12




  • levensailorlevensailor Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking the TSHOOT today to get my CCNP. Doesn't sound too much like something I can study for, and i'm about studied out after the ROUTE and SWITCH in one month! Hopefully I can knock it out :)
    CCNP/CCDA/CCNA-Wireless/MCSA/MCITP/Network+/Security+
    BS Information Tech. - UMass
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Connection Overlord Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fan-Freaking-Tastic!!! Nicely done dude! I'm still in the after-cert honeymoon period as well, taking a break is quite nice :)
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Chasing down my dreams. Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This is Awesomesauce!
  • levensailorlevensailor Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got 780 when 790 was required! I will be taking the TSHOOT again next thursday. its really hard on a 15 inch monitor the testing center had to navigate the schemes and im used to having dual monitors. Anyways, so close, will get it next time
    CCNP/CCDA/CCNA-Wireless/MCSA/MCITP/Network+/Security+
    BS Information Tech. - UMass
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    I got 780 when 790 was required! I will be taking the TSHOOT again next thursday. its really hard on a 15 inch monitor the testing center had to navigate the schemes and im used to having dual monitors. Anyways, so close, will get it next time

    Yea man. Those monitors are so annoying haha. Every window overlaps with every other window it seems. I'm sitting there clicking and typing away for the whole 2 hours probably frustrating everyone else in the testing center since the key board was fairly loud.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats.

    You mentioned the no experience part. You passed CCNP without real world experience?
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    mguy wrote: »
    Congrats.

    You mentioned the no experience part. You passed CCNP without real world experience?

    I don't remember all the things I've said, but what I probably meant is NP level experience. I have 4 yrs network admin experience. There was some router/switch config and management duties as part of the job, but nothing to the extent of what the NP teaches.. so yes, I passed CCNP with some experience.

    Grinding through the NP, as well as my degree, over the course of this past year has taught me so much. I feel I've advanced faster than if I was simply working the same admin job. Fortunately, I had the resources and was in a situation that allowed me to go back to school full-time and study. I'm always thinking long term and now I finally feel on pace to be where I want to be in 5+ years from now.. I have a very strong base to build off of now, which I couldn't say in the past.

    I know for sure that I would not have completed my degree or NP if I was working the same job. I spent so long grinding in the NP material, and putting in lab hours, that I'm very welcome to technical discussions now! Couldn't have said that a year and a half ago.. they mostly made my head spin. Everyone must choose what's best for them..
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Congrats! Didn't you have issues with the exam before? Did they let you retake it for free?
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    prtech wrote: »
    Congrats! Didn't you have issues with the exam before? Did they let you retake it for free?

    Yes, they eventually gave me a voucher to retake the exam. It was a big hassle!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Gaming Tech Expert Silicon Valley, CAMember Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

    Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • union122union122 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrads, Are you shooting for a pure Network job ? now ..
  • CingularCingular Member Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats mate! Great work getting through all 3.

    I went back and read your post about the CCNP-ROUTE progress, inspirational stuff. I've been procrastinating about starting CCNP for far too long now (finished CCNA-Security in late August this year)...so now it's as good a time as any to jump back on the horse.

    Again, well done man. I hope to join the ranks of the CCNP certified soon enough! :)
    cissp, pcnse, ccnp, ccnp security, nse4
    ---

    "It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - Gaff 

  • levensailorlevensailor Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Finished TSHOOT, official CCNP now. I didn't realize (and this will help anyone studying for it) but cisco has the topology maps (ipv4 layer 3, ipv6 layer 3 and layer 2) all on their website in pdf format. I'm 90% sure all the ips were identical. Anyways, it helps to know what you're getting into. The exam today was fairly easy and I got a high 900 in around 20 minutes as opposed to struggling the whole time and barely missing it.
    CCNP/CCDA/CCNA-Wireless/MCSA/MCITP/Network+/Security+
    BS Information Tech. - UMass
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Cingular wrote: »
    Congrats mate! Great work getting through all 3.

    I went back and read your post about the CCNP-ROUTE progress, inspirational stuff. I've been procrastinating about starting CCNP for far too long now (finished CCNA-Security in late August this year)...so now it's as good a time as any to jump back on the horse.

    Again, well done man. I hope to join the ranks of the CCNP certified soon enough! icon_smile.gif

    That's the spirit! Go for it! There is a ton of material and my suggestion is no matter what to just keep with it. There were plenty of times during the past year where I just needed to take a break from all the reading/labbing for a couple weeks. It not only tests one's technical knowledge, but one's persistence!
    Finished TSHOOT, official CCNP now. I didn't realize (and this will help anyone studying for it) but cisco has the topology maps (ipv4 layer 3, ipv6 layer 3 and layer 2) all on their website in pdf format. I'm 90% sure all the ips were identical. Anyways, it helps to know what you're getting into. The exam today was fairly easy and I got a high 900 in around 20 minutes as opposed to struggling the whole time and barely missing it.

    Congrats man! You're right, Cisco provides up the topologies for the exam. I printed them out and made sure I was very familiar with it ahead of time. There's been a lot of NP passes lately, we need a big NP party.. *jokes*
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291
    MrBrian wrote: »
    Had my TSHOOT exam today and passed!! Got a 986/1000, but got all the trouble tickets right.

    Started my CCNP journey right after I got my CCNA in August 2011, so well over a year, and now I finally made it. Feels great! I was looking back for a thread from August 2011 where I claimed I would complete ROUTE in a month or something like that, which was right when I started studying for it. And then said that I'd get the CCNP in 3-4 months total time (with no real experience). I said that because I had the most motivation/determination in the world at that point. And the summer was all mine (no job/school), so I believed I could do it. It's pretty laughable that over a year has passed since then, but I'm happy I reached my goal. I couldn't go back far enough to find that post, but I did find a thread where I was eating my words after going at it hard for a month's time.

    So anyone trying to blaze through these exams might want to take notice, that it's not gonna be that easy! I was studying 8 hrs a day for all of August 2011 (but if you have experience or are a flat out genius anything's possible. I just wanna give you my experience):

    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/69661-my-route-progress.html#post560398

    Now I'm trying to figure out what's next. I'll probably take a break for a few weeks, but after that some thoughts are CCNA-V, CCNA-S, JNCIA-Junos, read BGP then MPLS books, or possibly the OSCP. Was thinking about that last one because I figure having those skills will help me better understand the importance of locking down the network/end stations. And it would help me branch out a bit.

    And thank you to everyone on the forum because I've learned a ton of stuff from the people here and received valuable advice.

    Well done, mate. You have performed almost perfectly.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

    5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)


  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @MrBrian - Congrats on getting your CCNP!
    Congratulations! I love coming here and reading all of the "I passed" threads because it helps to keep me motivated in my own studies!

    @jdballinger - I feel the same way too - TE always motivates me whenever I start slacking off.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • waragiwaragi Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Route switch and Tshoot in a month?.
    Just joking.
    Its nice going for a interview with the CCNP on the CV its does get respect from employers even if one is not going to be directly working on cisco equipment.
Sign In or Register to comment.