Ubuntu linux book

CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
is this a good book?, Beginning Ubuntu Linux: Keir Thomas, Andy Channelle, Jamie Sicam: 9781430219996: Amazon.com: Books would this be a great book to start my linux+ studies?

Comments

  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it couldn't hurt. Just get in there and start labbing and learning. I wouldn't spend to much money though, I would pick up one book tops and use the white pages and the resources here to continue to grow. Of course labbing is a great way and actually support and developing in an enterprise.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg CompTIA A+, Network+. Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like that the book has "Installing Linux" near the front instead of 5 chapters deep!

    Although it doesn't look like you could probably use it for Linux+. It would be a great introduction before studying.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Go with the official Ubuntu book. It's made for n00bs. :)
  • CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go with the official Ubuntu book. It's made for n00bs. :)

    what is the title of that book and who is the author?


    guys I'am confused, can you please give me a brief difference between linux+, redhat, and LPIC(btw I don't know what LPIC means. hehe)
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    CaptainL wrote: »
    what is the title of that book and who is the author?


    guys I'am confused, can you please give me a brief difference between linux+, redhat, and LPIC(btw I don't know what LPIC means. hehe)

    L+ = LPIC-1 and are multiple- choice tests. Red Hat are practical exams (hands- on) and hold a bit more esteem among peer techies and recruiters.
    Ever since I picked up one of Sobell's titles, I became his fan. Great books on linux topics, and his Ubuntu title is no exception. So go for it if you want to dig a bit deeper into the subject.
  • hazizhaziz Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    L+ = LPIC-1 and are multiple- choice tests. Red Hat are practical exams (hands- on) and hold a bit more esteem among peer techies and recruiters.
    Ever since I picked up one of Sobell's titles, I became his fan. Great books on linux topics, and his Ubuntu title is no exception. So go for it if you want to dig a bit deeper into the subject.

    +1. Another vote for any book by Sobell.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    CaptainL wrote: »
    is this a good book?, Beginning Ubuntu Linux: Keir Thomas, Andy Channelle, Jamie Sicam: 9781430219996: Amazon.com: Books would this be a great book to start my linux+ studies?

    Apress publishes the book you listed above. I really, really dig Apress books-- they usually have a fair amount of detail and are well written for the price. Apress has a neat deal for a discounted eBook if you buy the print edition. Sometimes they have really good sales as well (like their half-price Cyber Monday deal).

    Outside of an Apress title, I'd suggest the Unleashed titles for Linux releases (or just about any serious OS reading).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg CompTIA A+, Network+. Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Im just about to toss this book out the window... (Disk Quota labbing... !@#$.)

    Petedude, what did you use for your Linux+ studies?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Sign In or Register to comment.