Options

ipv6 anycast: any practical usage example?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
I knew it's "one-to-nearest". But to be honest, I'm little bit lost when we will need this function. Does it have any peer function in IPv4?

Comments

• Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DHCP comes to mind. A new PC placed on a network is looking for a DHCP server to request an IP stack.
  • Options
    johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Cool! This is a great example where anycast beats the broadcast.

Thanks,
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The same thing can be used in IPv4, just assign the same IP in multiple places and let traffic route to the nearest one. I've seen this used for BGP next hops, DNS etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Akamai services come to mind....
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    Ltat42a wrote: »
    DHCP comes to mind. A new PC placed on a network is looking for a DHCP server to request an IP stack.

I'll be honest...I have no clue how DHCP works in IPv6, but in IPv4, a PC broadcast for a DHCP, it doesn't send a unicast. I assume in IPv6, it's going to send some sort of multicast, and not unicast, so I don't see how an anycast would work for DHCP.
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    DHCP requests are multicast on ff02::1:2. A better example of anycast would be to replace a FHRP such as HSRP or GLBP. I expect servers will be using this feature too to load balance.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    I've thought about this and I'm not sure about that one; going to the closest one isn't exactly load balancing... there would have to be some work done.