Options

What patch cables do I need?

Cubuntu28Cubuntu28 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am planning on on buying two 3640 routers and a 2950 switch to start. I guess I need to buy two patch cables as well? (also the crossover cable)... AS far as patch cables goes here are my two options, does it matter?

MTRJ to SC Fiber Cable
Cisco SC-MTRJ Multimode Duplex Fiber Patch Cable, 1M

Qty:

MTRJ to ST Fiber Cable
Cisco ST-MTRJ Multimode Duplex Fiber Patch Cable, 1M

Thank you,

Comments

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Why do you need a multimode fiber for labbing? Just get a regular CAT5e or CAT6 cable.
  • Options
    Cubuntu28Cubuntu28 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, I really didnt understand why it was suggesting the purchase to me.
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Just get a regular CAT5e or CAT6 cable.

Get crossover & straight-thru cables.
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    or just make the straight thru and cross over cables yourself for experience :) just buy a small spool of Cat5e cable, clamps, and RJ45 connectors.
  • Options
    NewInBussinesNewInBussines Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In order to use fiber does your equipments have fiber ports?You should check this.But for a lab environment cat5 or cat6 is enough.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    FYI... I have some 2620xms in my lab and they don't like my crossover cat6 cables. I ordered all of my cables from monoprice so if you buy cat6 you might have to find that perfect spot for the cable to sit.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How do you mean "Don't like"?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    I have several of something like this for my lab. Works great in never needing to differentiate between crossover cable and not, as well as the option of varied cable lengths.

Amazon.com: Ziotek 8-Inch Crossover Cat5e Adapter: Computers & Accessories
  • Options
    Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    removed unnecessary quote from above post

I'll second this; I learned about those little crossover adapters from watching Keith Barker's introductory CCNA video series on Cisco's Learning Network site and thought, "Man, a little plug adapter sure beats having to keep dedicated crossover cables around", especially since I have several in my closet that I made during my Network+ studies.

The convenience can't be beat; instead of hunting for the right cable, I just pop in the little adapter and I'm all set to go.
    11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just made a small cross-over cable, bought a joiner connector and bam. Cheap connector!

Made a T1 cross-over too :D and a roll-over!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You guys are bringing back fond memories of finding ways to reduce the weight in my laptop bag many years ago by making my own cables... this one was a real winner:

the 5-in-1 network admin's cable