Options

Problem in Final Lab on CCNA3 Discovery

Dan-HumphreysDan-Humphreys Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently part way through a lab provided in the CCNA3 course material that requires you to set up a network covering most of the topics covered in CCNA3 such as stp, vlans, ppp, ospf ect.

I am now at the point of configuring PAT on the "HQ" router that sits between the LAN router and the ISP's router.

My issue is that the documentation task's you with configuring NAT overload before configuring and access list's, as it later states to ensure functionality of the network before configuring ACL's. I cannot however seem to enter a command that statically specifies the entire LAN subnet to be translated to the outside NAT.

The command I part entered was 'ip nat inside source static 172.20.0.0 255.255.252.0 ?' the '?' specifies where I cannot get any further with the command.

I am just doing this completely wrong? Or am I being misled by the documentation in which I should be configuring an ACL first?

I might also add that I have configured both serial interfaces of the "HQ" router as ip nat inside and outside.

I hope I have explained myself correctly, please question me if not.

Comments

• Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    After a quick google search I think your missig an IP address after 172.20.0.0

Sample Configuration Using the ip nat outside source list Command - Cisco Systems

so...

Router(config)#ip nat inside source static 172.20.0.0 ?
    A.B.C.D Inside global IP address
    Router(config)#ip nat inside source static 172.20.0.0

Try Router(config)#ip nat inside source static 172.20.0.0 ? A.B.C.D Inside global IP address
    Router(config)#ip nat inside source static 172.20.0.0
  • Options
    I can't seem to find the command from that material, I think I read that article when I was trying to Google this issue. From the output I can see the NAT has been configured with an ACL.

Sorry I just saw the 2nd bit of the post, the 172.20.0.0 address is actually the inside address, the outside address is 209.165.201.1
  • Options
    I think I can see another error in what I am trying to do, I need to specify the entire 172.20.0.0/22 subnet to the 209.165.201.1 address, but I am now not sure if by just entering 172.20.0.0 that it will translate all address's in this /22 subnet.

EDIT: It worked!
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    what was the final command?
  • Options
    'ip nat inside source static 172.20.0.0 209.165.201.1'

My mistake was trying to specify the subnet mask in the command. This command did allow all traffic on the 172.20.0.0/22 subnet to be translated.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently part way through a lab provided in the CCNA3 course material that requires you to set up a network covering most of the topics covered in CCNA3 such as stp, vlans, ppp, ospf ect.

I am now at the point of configuring PAT on the "HQ" router that sits between the LAN router and the ISP's router.

My issue is that the documentation task's you with configuring NAT overload before configuring and access list's, as it later states to ensure functionality of the network before configuring ACL's. I cannot however seem to enter a command that statically specifies the entire LAN subnet to be translated to the outside NAT.

The command I part entered was 'ip nat inside source static 172.20.0.0 255.255.252.0 ?' the '?' specifies where I cannot get any further with the command.

Hi, I just finished a Cisco IV - Exploration (The Exploration along with the discovery are needless in facilitating ease of use for students and stands for "reworked for no reason")

Great news, I just I picked up a my mint copy under the "Learning CCNA" series title last week at a garage sale by author McQuerry ICND2 book (and why I loved this post) is namely due to discovering in this ICND2 book(from most recent previous Cisco curriculum material(s)) covers all these ICND1 Cisco III class in a CCNA3 such as stp, vlans, ppp, ospf etc. but in an ICND2 Cisco book. This is very encouraging because all I need is this book to prepare for entire CCNA (or ICND1 and 2 separately). I am printing out the ICND1 version of McQuerry but I think I am pretty good with jICND1 topics if all that remains are the topics listed in this ICND2 book. my main problem is I needed a better primer and thus a different author before I jump in the official cert guides or I will know most of it by then. Sometimes, when Cisco makes curriculum changes, that also in turn changes the author and if the lions share of the objective, correction AL of the same objectives are covered that are on the official exam, you now get another author's style at your disposal to use to prepare for these exams! Great news, indeed.

Im so geeked about this because I can now use my Dummies CCENT along with this book and use the cert guides for questions and missing detail! Isn't this the "Optimus Prime" of plans as far as the best plan for me, myself and I?! *rhetorical ques*