Options

DC Input Jack Help?

gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
Hello fellow TE members! So, my Asus K53E-BBR9 laptop, which is just over a year old, recently began having charging problems. If the laptop charger was pressed down slightly at the connection port, it would charge but became finicky shortly after and became harder and harder to charge.

I brought it to a local shop, and showed the issue. I had the DC Input Jack replaced, and worked fine for 3 days. On the 4th day, the same issue started up again, instead of needing to press down, I needed to press up very slightly on the charger tip. Prior to replacement, as well as now, I tested with a known working charger (same model as my brother in law has the same computer with no issues) and it replicated the same issue.

I contacted the shop and brought it over, who wasn't sure what the problem was, however doesn't believe it's the DC Input Jack as it was just replaced, tested working upon pickup, and worked for 3 days.

He thinks it might be motherboard related, and will do some research and contact me tomorrow.

I contacted a few other tech's within my organization, who still believe it's related to faulty DC Input Jack.

Any suggestions?
WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    It sounds like the jack was poorly fixed and is still bad. If it's was a motherboard issue then physically pressing on it wouldn't cause it to work.

Take it apart yourself and have a look with a multimeter.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you sure they replaced the jack? It does sound like a dc-in issue, you can find them inexpensive on e-bay, most of the time nowadays they are not soldered onto the motherboard, they are easily plugged into a port on the motherboard. But first and foremost you should tell the repair shop to fix the problem that was never fixed in the first place without paying more money.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Thanks for the replies. The DC Input Jack was replaced (I compared with a photo I took of the original). It is a soldered on DC Input Jack. I don't have a multi-meter to test unfortunately.

Since I use this particular laptop as my primary machine, I didn't want to test my non-existent soldering skills on this machine. I will learn to eventually, just not on a machine I can't afford to mess up.

The shop owner will call me tomorrow with his research findings and with how he wants to proceed.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)