fail CCNA Security today

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
I got a 763, needed 804.......

pretty lame, even though I didn't really feel ready.

I have the Official Cert Guide, and I was passing the tests on the associated cds, but I don't feel they are an adequate representation.

I also purchased a Boson ExSim Max exam, and I was not getting a passing score there, so I should have waited.

Can't reschedule until Monday, but I'll probably go for the 13th based on work schedule.

gonna get a 48 hour CBT nuggets and re-read some chapters
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gah that sucks, sorry to hear it. Care to post your score breakdown?
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep at it!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    apparently I failed i typing "failed" too....... stupid subject...

Common Security threats: 75%
    Security and Cisco Routers: 100%
    AAA on Cisco Devices: 80%
    IOS ACL's: 56%
    Secure Network Management and Routing: 80%
    Common Layer 2 Attacks: 83%
    Cisco Firewall Technologies: 69%
    Cisco IPS: 40%
    VPN Technologies: 55%
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    You were pretty close, good luck! A few weak areas, but I think that ACL category should be the most simple improvement for you, since you have experience with it at the route/switch level.
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    good luck next time!
    I think for CCNA:S exam, many people focus too much on terminology/theoretical items related to threats, attacks and mitigations, instead to focus on practical side -simulations/labs- (implementation is quite introductory in CCNA:S and more in depth in CCNP:S courses); I mean focus on zbf, vpn, ios-ips, with emphasis on ccp and asdm ... and this behaviour happens maybe because these items are studied anyway intensively for CCNP:S exams (secure, vpn, firewall and ips exams)...
    I personally spent a lot for labs in ios, ccp, asdm and only read for theoretical side in brief, during few hours/days; in this way, I was ready for exam in 5 weeks (3-4 hrs/day of study) after started my journey for CCNA:S.
    I recommend to anyone who prepare for CCNA:S exam, to spend more time for practice/labs (with aaa, acl -subnetting is very important-, secure-ios, zbf, vpn, ips-ios), although for now all work is gui-related, but next, for CCNP:S required exams, all work will be cli-related and all experience gained during CCNA:S study is a plus for next steps in cisco security.
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed the CCNA:Sec today and I totally agree with Marco.. Focus on the implementation side and you will do fine..
  • fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    sorry but you should work hard
    Kelkin wrote: »
    I just passed the CCNA:Sec today and I totally agree with Marco.. Focus on the implementation side and you will do fine..

Are you going to go for CCNP: Sec?
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I failed it my first time as well. Barely too. But don't do like I did and wait a year to take it again (things got in the way of studying). I went back and crushed it with a 900.
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kelkin wrote: »

Congrats!
    What next? CCNP:Sec or another CCNA specialty (DC, SP)?
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am on the fence actually.. Work has offered to send me to an CCIE R/S boot camp in June so im thinking that direction.. I do alot of R/S & Security stuff at work so its either RS or Security.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCIE. They're paying for some training, go for it!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams