Options

Finally booked ICND1 for Jan

beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well I finally was financially able to book ICND1 for January. I have taken cisco classes in the past and have some IT experience on the Telecom/Tech Support side. I took the test years ago and came close but I'm ready to attack this stuff again. I am going to go through the Sybex book with Packet Tracer and maybe later on get a good prctice exam for ICND1 if I can afford it. I have been inspired by seeing all the success on this forum. Keep the positive vibes coming. This CAN be done, its not rocket science you just have to prepare.:)

Comments

• Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    Great! Did your book come with any practice test questions on a dvd? Hows your subnetting skills?
  • Options
    dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The labs in Lammle's book was all I needed to pass the CCENT.
  • Options
    Yes the book has some questions, it has questions after each section on the DVD and two ccna test with it. Todd Lammle also sent me som practice simulations in Packet Tracer also to help with simulation questions on the test. His subnetting chapter is real good, I havent mastered it yet but I used this book before years ago when I took the test, I came real close back then. I'm glad you can do the two test method now. : )
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are SO MANY books on ICND1, it is not even funny. Quite frankly, you can find Network + books that show you how to subnet and if you find them useful for your OWN understanding then you own that topic and can pass the test.

ICND2 is where you will find a challenge finding the right source to own the understanding. You do not have adequate implementing knowledge until you pass ICND2. ICND1 is basically sub-netting and basic Cisco show commands so it is more about gaining interest in dealing and doing this type of work. I would go as far as recommending you study for both to raise your interest level because for some, ICND1 is not enough in itself to really get into this for a future and not jut for a test. However to pass the exam(s), you have to do everything quickly. This requires practice more then just studying the material so it more then just reading. It is more doing as in practicing CLI and practicing questions. Same cannot be said of ICND2 because you have to read and then do labs rather then just static questions over and over again until you really get it.

Just be ready in knowing that ICND1 can be passed by doing questions and ICND2 must be done by both reading and doing LABS. Lots of people take ICND1 and then lose the interest in labbing to pass ICND2. This is why I am studying for CCNA composite but taking 2 exams separately. I want to have the interest to not only pass both upfront but also ant to make sure I have the sufficient interest to possibly do this as a career and not just a hobby. A LOT of people who take the 2 part exam forget about this very underrated and dangerous part of the two-exam approach. Take and pass ICND1 but do more then keep an ear out for ICND2 because you need BOTH to be MARKETABLE as a CCNA.
  • Options
    I agree, I have taken CCNA classes in the past and failed CCNA twice years ago. I have been around a LOT of CCNAs and CCNPs and even CCIEs in the workforce. Its no joke you have to be ready. I have taken classes where we applied a lot of the theory and it helps you to understand everything better. For ICND2 I will try to get a real lab or at least GNS3 maybe. I would love to just do CCNA composite man, cant afford it right now though but will make sure I keep up my skills on this stuff. I will probably take the CCNA tests that come with the book. I cant afford that Boson Exam Maxx test, I heard that is a good test prep system though.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    PSA

You don't have to quote the person above you every time you post. Use the Reply button to keep the forums clean and readable.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ok sorry about that, my mistake
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @beach5563 - good lick on the ICND1! I am sure you can do it! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Thanks, man this has been a long journey off and on but I hope to finally get it. This forum is a big help. I have learned so much from fellow test takers up here. I have CBT nuggets too and it really gets me pumped up and motivated. I need that from time to time.