Options

Load Balancers

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi

I have heard that Cisco are going to discontinue the ACE load balancers they do. Does anyone know if this is true? And can anyone recommend any good alternative load balancers?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think Cisco made an official announcement that they'll kill it. According to this post by Greg Ferro (@etherealmind), Cisco says it is not dead yet.

F5s and Netscalers are pretty popular. I've seen Coyote Point too but don't know if that's any good.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cisco is supposed to be entering a partnership with Citrix to provide Netscaler solutions last I read.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm sitting next to a Cisco rep right now and asked him this question. This is his response: "It's not official yet but it's the long-term goal to remove them from production. Since we have such a large customer base, they aren't cutting off support for it but since we've developed a new partnership with Netscaler, we aren't going to continue with the line"
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Translation: After we learn what we need to learn from Citrix, we'll make load balancers again or buy them out. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    We use F5's in our data center.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Depending on your application array networks has a pretty good selection. You could also just build 2 red hat boxes...
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We use old foundry LBs and are looking to upgrade to F5. We had F5 come out to our HQ and show us what they can do , I was left with my mouth open and very impressed. Cant wait to get them into the company.

Cisco never really made it that big in LB in my opinion. Sad cause i had to study a lot of it during my CCDP studies.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    F5's are pretty awesome. If we didn't have Barracuda's already we'd definitely be using them.
  • Options
    cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone thanks for the great responses. I will check out netscalers, f5 and Barracudas then. We have quite a few Cisco ACE load Balancers here if the support stays in place then I suppose it could not be to bad. If however Cisco form a relationship with Netscalers then Im sure there focus will be on this and we may need to replace the ACE's as they will just become legacy.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    F5 has a special trade-in offer going on for ACE customers as well: http://interact.f5.com/rs/f5/images/Cisco%20Trade-in%20Program%20Guide.pdf