[Review] Canless Air System O2 Hurricane Computer Duster

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
Welcome to my review of the "Canless Air System O2 Hurricane Computer Dust." It's a long name, one I had to look up for this review.

We men and women have fought over dust for many years. It covers our computers, gaming systems (NES), haze our monitors and reminds us that everything turns to dust. There is a much more dire need to clear dust and it all boils down to Heat and Static. It's so bad manufacturers try to one-up this problem by having fans that power up to full to try to knock dust out. Sadly, it's never enough. The fans themselves become victims of dust and their power becomes drained. That coupled with the insulation by dust that hinders heatsinks and you get a snow ball effect of heat and destruction. Enter Canned Air.

Canned air allows us to knock those dust bunnies around like Elmer Fud. If you've ever worked on a computer that looks like...
dirt1full-1.jpg
You'll know what I'm talking about. Dust so thick you can peel, and with other unliving things... Disgusting. This, folks, is where we sometimes do our work. Not to mention if you cut your hand inside of there, I hope you aren't afraid of shots!

My work area has 200 or so computers; all buzzing along happily as well as a building that spits out dust "poo." - Small bits of dust and dirt that like to find their way into my tea cup when I'm not looking. Moving computers for clients gives me a wonderful opportunity to clear out dust and try to get things prepared. 1 Canned air for 3 computers. That's it. Not to mention that I'm worried that it'll start spraying liquid from the nozzle... or that it starts to freeze and drip from the moisture on the can. There has got to be a better way, a safer way.

This is is clean computer before dusting:
100_1370.jpg
After: (Not too shabby for being cordless)
100_1372-1.jpg
Now, there are many alternatives. Most of them all include a cord, wiring and a lot of noise. I've use small vacum cleaners (Small on power, not on noise), Air compressors (Small on noise, until the compressor kicks in). I'm trying to get away from wires. So many darned wires! I trip over wires, and air compressors aren't exactly the most "mobile" things! So I seen this little guy on Think Geek, did some research. I was skeptical, but I was unable to find any real evidence other than a small video with no real audio.

Here's the Marketing hype:
1. MPH: 150 - 200
2. No Chemicals: No warnings.
3. Doesn't Freeze.
4. Reusable: 1 Charge = 25 Cans of Canned Air. 500 Charges.
5. Cordless.
6. Can be used in any position
7. Hand-Made in USA.
8. 10 Min constant.

-- Box Opening & Product Shot --

I pick up my packages at the post office, so having a White package, instead a tan-yellow package helped! Made from recycled.
100_1354.jpg
100_1355.jpg
100_1356.jpg
100_1357.jpg
100_1359.jpg
Everything, all beside a canned air:
100_1361.jpg
Charging:
100_1369.jpg

The Canless Air System beside it's competitor - 8oz Canned Air:
100_1364.jpg
100_1366.jpg
100_1365.jpg
100_1367.jpg
100_1368.jpg

2 Straws.
1 Canless Air
1 Power Adapter:
Model: FY1600300.
Input: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 8W
Output: 16v 0.3A

-- Deconstruction --
This will probably void your warranty...

It's built tough, and the case didn't want to budge.

10 AA batteries are inside. Not sure of the type of battery as they were covered with a rubber coating as well as unlabeled. However going off the AC adapter... they're NiMH.
100_1377.jpg

-- Thoughts --

1. Lack of high power.
1a. With canned air, you could pull the can away a bit and still get decent strength.
1b. You'll need to put this device closer to the dust.
1c. It will still clean off the dust in the computer. I've tested some dusty computers in the office, ones I've been wanting to clear off for a while. It's nice to see all the dust fly around.
- For the heavier stuff. Ya know, peeling is always a good option. Canned Air has trouble with these globs.

2. The straw:
2a. You don't get a I]much[/I stronger stream of air with it on. It's main use - to get into tight spots. You just make the motor work a little harder.
2b. Taking a thinner straw (Duct tape) doesn't make a stronger stream, either. The motor will scream at you to the point I didn't want to to any real testing with it.
100_1373.jpg
2d. The power is consistant. There's no rotating, it doesn't get hot (or cold)
2e. It's not secure to the the rest of the body. I've had the straw fly because I've moved it around too much.
Bottom line: The straw is completely optional. If I choose to use it, I would need to tape it to the opening. If you want the most power, than having the straw is definitly key. Make sure to glue it inside!

3. Trigger:
It's a light-weight trigger. No effort to use.

4. Weight:
It doesn't feel overly heavy for the size. I'd say a little more than a normal, full canned air.

5. Noise:
100_1374-1.jpg
It's office-acceptable.

Will I keep this?
That's a tough choice. At one hand I could easily use the 87 dollars for other things. But I'm also aware that 87 dollars roughly is just the up-front ticket to potentially never needing to get carded for canned air again. Yeah... I had to explain to the local computer shop "I'm not a drug addict". It's the only time I've had to whip out my A+ and Network+ cards to prove I work on computers! (Who says these little cards are worthless?)

I like the compact nature. It's safe, from what I can tell. It's works on heavy-dusted computers. I've tested a customer's computer and... yeah... Definitely works.

While I'm not a fan of the batteries and not being able to replace them easily... The cost savings still outweighs buying packs of canned air.

Summary: Keeping.

Before anyone screams "I was paid". I wasn't. I shelled $87+16 for this review. I'm hoping that people can make an informed choice using my review as it is unbiased.
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Update: I threw it away.

After charging for 3 days between a use, I couldn't get the same power as it once had. It whined, and died.

As far as the RMA. They had offered me a "More Powerful" version. I declined. Mostly if it didn't work several times of trying to charge between uses, I felt like I wouldn't get it to work within the repeat uses.

I'm going to bite the bullet.
    Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120-Volt: Home Improvement Here I come.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I thought maybe they had improved it. A friend of mine bought one of those things and basically it became unusable after a week. Me I just use a 25 dollar shop vac from Harbor Freight with an 8 dollar micro attachment kit. With the shop vac I can blow air or vacuum with the same device.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was looking for something a bit smaller, more handy. Even a small shop vac is a bit too big and bulky. I normally try to clear out the dust the gathers in the computers at least twice a year and this takes a lot of $$$ to do... And it is expensive to buy a hell of a lot of canned air just for 200 users. People do comment that their computers seem "faster" after I dust off the insides. There isn't anyone present while I dust. I don't dare interrupt production :) While it's true or not, it lets me sleep a little easier knowing that their heat sinks aren't choked with dust.

I do a lot of preventative maintenance to try to make sure these computers stay in working order as long as possible, so I was hoping that this was going to work. I was disappointed.

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Oh I tried a canned air system years ago. Was disappointed. It was a compressor that pumped the air into the specialty cans and allowed one to take the can on site.

Same problem. The can never held the same perssure it did after the first fill. So, to blow dust the can needed to be almost touching the hardware which is pointless IMO. So after a few short times, more time was spent trying to fill the cans with compressed air then it took to use the cans up.

Canned air best for someone who is onsite. Large compressor is great if you have a work area.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Roguetadhg: We are using the MetroVacuum at work and so far I like it. It's a little harder on the ears than I would prefer, but what do you do? We are trying to lower costs and the canned air prices are just ridiculous.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    try an airbursh compressor

its a little bit bigger but works every time

Air Compressors
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I have the MetroVacuum ED500 and love it. About as loud as a vacuum. Gets the job done.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    After looking for something and seeing reviews on the ED500, I almost got one. But I think I'd want an actual vacuum so I can get rid of dust, not just move it out of a computer. I found this:
    Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum MDV-1BA DataVac Pro 4.5-AMP Computer Vac/Blower: Home Improvement

I'm looking at it for my home, but it might be worth a closer look for other purposes as well. The ED500 definitely looks good, too. Same company, but the ED500 isn't really a vacuum, in the traditional sense. It just blows dust around.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340