Options

yeah i never went to uni

truckfittruckfit Banned Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Yeah i never went to uniBut why do my collège educated colleuges give me a hard time about it.Have you guys faced this?

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    its always better to have it then not have it. Its just one of those things employers like to see to tick off there list.

When i never had it, they would always ask. Now i have it, they never ask! haha.

Its not the ultimate though so dont get too bogged down with it.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Its always better to have a degree because it is legitimate and universal identification of education in the modern world. However in our little world of IT, as along as you have experience and certifications you should be more then well off to find jobs. Especially if you certifiy yourself in something special and at an expert level, you wont have a problem competing with people with college degrees.

Those giving you a hard time about it, might be trying to motivate you to go back to school and get a degree. Its worth it if you are still young, plus it is a good example to your kids or future kids.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From your other posts, it seems like you lack confidence and perhaps direction. What are your goals and aspirations for your career? Who cares what other people think; if you colleagues thought their education made them more qualified then they would be your managers.

I don't have a degree and no, I have never faced this problem. Most of my colleagues have Masters or MBA's. My performance and work ethic has always been the measure.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If they are doing the same job as a guy without a degree what does that say about that degree they have? That should shut them up pretty quick.

I've never faced this kind of thing at work personally. I think only a couple of the guys here have degrees but it never gets brought up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    it never gets brought up.

This.

If someone is an idiot, they are an idiot, degree or no degree...they will be a standout for all the WRONG reasons icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    At my workplace it doesn't matter and isn't really discussed too much. Someone's credentials aren't important but it is rather their actions that are. You bet the Manager who sends out company-wide emails that are barely legible gets given a hard time about being uneducated.

My question for you: Are they giving you a hard time over not having the piece of paper degree or because they feel that you're generally uneducated? There's a big difference but it's often something that is easily miscommunicated.
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look, getting does not mean that the person can do the job. In a sense, almost every bachelors degree is granular and general. What it does say is that there is a really good chance that you come into the work force a better-rounded person; probably even have great analytical thinking skills as well. There are many intangibles one gets from a degree and the most important being knowledge. Now does that mean we should put down those who choose not to get one? Of course not and it certainly doesn’t mean that you are any less qualified. But at the end of the day, I believe a degree is necessary, if not for the monetary value but just from the eclectic variety of knowledge you can gain by pursing one.

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    truckfittruckfit Banned Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah well there are 2 of them we both have the same title consultant however im intermediate level and they are grads who being in the workforce for less than a year. In my interview i was told this is not a junior level rôle but is a intermediate on which requires mentoring grads. I have being in IT for 3 Years and have certs and thats all. They are Also older than me by a year or three.i took différent risks in IT and made différent choices and thats why i get paid more than them and have more responsibilities and i over paid my dues so i do not know why some people hâte.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why don't you ask them? Maybe you are misintepteting their motives.
  • Options
    jsnchrry33jsnchrry33 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I dont think it matters if you have a degree as long as your capable of pulling the position. However most employers or Human Resource departments tend to gravitate towards potential employees who are more educated. This isnt always the case but lets face it the HR department only sees whats on paper. So its better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it...especially when it comes time to look for a new job.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    truckfit wrote: »
    Yeah well there are 2 of them we both have the same title consultant however im intermediate level and they are grads who being in the workforce for less than a year. In my interview i was told this is not a junior level rôle but is a intermediate on which requires mentoring grads. I have being in IT for 3 Years and have certs and thats all. They are Also older than me by a year or three.i took différent risks in IT and made différent choices and thats why i get paid more than them and have more responsibilities and i over paid my dues so i do not know why some people hâte.

Playing devils advocate, you did post in another thread about how you were a little overwhelmed by your new position and its taking you a long time to do tasks. Not saying they are right for hating but they might be observing what you are doing and assuming its in part due to your lack of higher education. Again, we all get overwhelmed at times and no one knows everything but if these guys are new to the workforce and are watching an intermediate guy stumble, they're probably assigning judgement based on that. They're noobs and they are your juniors so you shouldn't focus on proving yourself to them.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I have a feeling that this guy sounds familiar...
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    People ask this? The only people that know is HR at our corporate office and probably my manager.