Options

Satellite technologies

rampagerampage Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi my friends
I've become interested about satellite technologies and their uses like VSAT or any other uses in computer networks .Here's my question:Is this field in wireless world or it is something that should be studied in university?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Generally, "wireless" communication is considered to be ground-to-ground based radio communication, such as Wi-Fi, Wi-Max, microwave, etc. Anything Earth-to-artificial-satellite, including Earth-Moon-Earth, is considered to be "satellite" communications. In between those two are communications that are bounced off the Ionosphere. You can do all three in amateur (Ham) radio with low power and with less than $1000US in equipment. I would suggest Googling for "amateur satellite communications" and starting from there.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Generally, "wireless" communication is considered to be ground-to-ground based radio communication, such as Wi-Fi, Wi-Max, microwave, etc. Anything Earth-to-artificial-satellite, including Earth-Moon-Earth, is considered to be "satellite" communications. In between those two are communications that are bounced off the Ionosphere. You can do all three in amateur (Ham) radio with low power and with less than $1000US in equipment. I would suggest Googling for "amateur satellite communications" and starting from there.

Thanks JDMurray.Always a pleasure reading your posts.
    For wireless,foe example,we have CWTS(entry level).....up to CWNE(an expert level).Is there something like this in satellite communications?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I don't know of any SATCOM certifications for humans, only for systems and equipment. You are more likely to find a college certificate course for SATCOM technologies, such as Marine Satellite Communications Certificate of Endorsement (SATCOM) | Australian Maritime College

If you are seriously interested in SATCOM, I would strongly consider the Extra Class Amateur Radio Operators license. This will get you legal access to the UHF frequencies need for you to do your own amateur satellite communications.
  • Options
    Good advices.
    Unfortunately,there is no such courses in my area.And SATCOM are restricted by government agencies.
    I'm not sure i wanna be a professional in this field i just want to have a fairly good knowledge and understanding of that,for now something like CWNA for wireless.
    Would you please introduce me some references ?
  • Options
    chiefwarrant250nchiefwarrant250n Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I worked in Satellite communications for about 9yrs in the Army before moving to the data part of the network. There aren't really any certifications that I know of, just some training programs that you could receive a certificate saying you completed the training. There are some college degrees that kind of touch on satellite technologies but most of the are Master's programs. Look of a degree in Telecommunications