Options

Rate these staffing agencys | temp services

inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
I never worked for a temp service. I just started to apply for work and I am getting burried in emails.

Modis

Stefinini

Robert Half

Pyrimd

TEKsystems

Cybercoders

Randstad Technologys

Sologig

Brooksource

Do they give you all the pay that they agreed, or do they find ways to keep some of your pay? (additional administrative fees that they create and deduct).

Are their any hidden fees working for a staffing service, temp service?

Do they pay W2 or 1099?

Comments

• Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I worked with Tek for many years and projects and never had any issues with not getting paid the agreed upon amount, and only had a few issues with the pay system forgetting to deposit cash. Also they pay W2 last I used them.

There were many times when RobertHalf tried to recruit me, but the ones i dealt with had elitest attitude and couldnt answer simple questions. I don't know about the fees or pay amounts for them, sorry.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Something tells me Robert Half will finish in the bottom 3rd of the ratings.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I dislike dealing with any and all of them. Very few recruiters understand technology well enough to determine if you're a reasonable candidate. They all want to meet and do lots of interviews, and basically add a frustrating layer to the hiring process. Many won't meet outside of business hours, which is a red flag to me. I've only got so much business-hour time to do interviews, and I'd just assume use it for interviewing with someone who can hire me. I have been fortunate enough to get placed in permanent positions without the help of recruiters.

I did do one brief contract through Genesis10, and it was pleasant enough. I was paid on time and they even put in for more than I was asking (which, in hindsight, was the one and only time I really undervalued myself). They are the only recruiter I would actively seek to this day.

I have always disliked the Robert Half recruiters in particular. I don't like their attitudes or their way of doing business. However, they get a lot of opportunities, so it's hard to write them off completely.

Tek seems a little better. I never got any interviews, but the one recruiter I worked with seemed to at least understand the industry well enough to place me.

The rest I've never dealt with, or at least I haven't retained the memory. I do remember unsubscribing from Sologig because the emails were annoying, but that's all I remember.

One big red flag for me is when they're outsourced. I'm just about to the point where I'll hang up the phone if I hear the Indian accent. Mind you, I've stayed on the phone with Microsoft and HP for hours and hours before. I can deal with the accent. The issue is that those companies are already cutting costs to minimal levels with outsourcing, and I've found they'll haggle to no end. It becomes an up-front battle for how much margin they can get. The recruiters local to my area have never balked at my rates, and again, the story of the Genesis10 recruiter that actually said I should ask for more will never leave my memory.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    tycoonbobtycoonbob Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    While I currently am employed full time, I am working with multiple recruiters. I always have my resume out there (dice, monster, careerbuilder) as well as keep it up dated to recruiters. I make it clear that I am not looking to relocate, am only looking for W2 and no 1099...and will only do short term (3 months or less) contract TO HIRE. No contract only, no 1099.

I really like working with TekSystems as well as Brooksource (more of a regional recruiter, I think) and I really really like both of them. Heck, my recruiter from both agencies are young females around my age. :D
    I meet each one of them for lunch about once a month on their dime, just to keep up to date. It's a really good relationship with them, and it tells me a lot that they are a good company simply because these recruiters continue you contact me and keep in touch, even though they may not have any active leads at the time. I am only willing to take a position that would take me up in pay, doing what I want to do in IT. So it doesn't come along often, but when it does I am the first they call. I actually have an interview next week for a position (in the ~85k/yr range...I'm currently in the mid-60s at 23 years old), full time direct hire. Thanks to TekSystems.

RHT and Modis are the only others on your list that I am familiar with, and RHT feels like Adecco to me. They look for warm bodies for lower end IT jobs, and Modis...well, I haven't heard back from them. They contacted me about a position (VM and an email) and I promptly returned the email, but got no response. Followed up a few days later...still nothing. Followed up a third time (more than 2 weeks from the original email), still nothing. 3 strikes...they are out. If I work with Modis ever again, it will not be with the same recruiter.