Options

TechNet vs DreamSpark?

About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
I am just curious what the difference is between TechNet and the DreamSpark Premium account provided to me by my school. DreamSpark will allow me to download applications and OS images for free. Just wanting to know if a TechNet account is still worth the cost if I get all the downloads for free anyway.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used Dreamspark for operating systems. The keys are good for only two years though, not sure how Technet works for licenses.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Keep in mind that they are two different things. DreamSpark is oriented towards development tools. In fact it's former name is MSDN Academic Alliance. TechNet contains more enterprise products that are not available via DreamSpark such as System Center, Lync, Exchange, Dynamic CRM and others.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I believe that the other big different is that DreamSpark is only available for academic institutions and students.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    paul78 wrote: »
    I believe that the other big different is that DreamSpark is only available for academic institutions and students.

Exactly. Just curious if anyone would still suggest TechNet while I have free access to DreamSpark. I know I will pick it up after my DreamSpark account is gone, but I don't want to waste $200.00 on something I basically already have. But I have no way of finding out the difference unless I ask for pay up. I would rather ask first. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If Dreamspark is free with school and it gives you what you need/want why worry about Technet? I mean you can't beat free.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Technet is awesome. I wish Cisco had an equivalent where you could get access to IOU, iOS, reuse able licenses like ACS, etc but that would hurt their massive profit margins.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Keep in mind that they are two different things. DreamSpark is oriented towards development tools. In fact it's former name is MSDN Academic Alliance. TechNet contains more enterprise products that are not available via DreamSpark such as System Center, Lync, Exchange, Dynamic CRM and others.

I got my System Center and Exchange software from Dreamspark. WGU students currently have 172 different titles under Dreamspark. I think the only difference between the 2 are that Dreamspark is for schools while technet is marketed toward professionals. There might be some licensing differences also but haven't looked into that.