Options

grr!!!! system crash

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
ok, so my system won't boot, I have no backup, no ASR, nothing that I should. what happened? I have my system running off a Ups, while I was checking email, i was also shredding some documents, which when I wasn't looking jammed up, and caused the Ups to malfunction, effectivly causing my system to lose power abruptly.....now, it won't boot. It only goes as far the Windows XP Pro splash screen, and the blue bar moves really slow, sometimes not at all. I have tried last known, safe mode, vga mode with no luck. I am using my lab system for nowm which sucks, because all my important files are locked up now......any ideas? I'd rather not try repair, as I have a bad history with that option......grrr!!!!
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Have you tried hooking the drive up as a slave in another machine?

Maybe you can still see the files, even if you can't boot from it?
  • Options
    There are two drives that use onboard Raid, which my other systems don't have. When I load in safe mode, the last line before it freezes is about loading agp.sys, whatever that means.......
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    recovery console, chkdsk, FIXBOOT, and FIXMBR.

If that dont work your drive is burnt toast, and your only option is to slave it and try and extract data liek /USR said.

Sucks dude.

You deal with computers, you should ALWAYS have some kind of a backup.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    ^^

Does that boot partition use the on board raid? If so, what method?
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    jd_mattosjd_mattos Member Posts: 134
    Like johnnynodough said, performa a repair from the windows cd. That should work unless your drives died. It doesn't sound like it from what you explained.
    Just boot from the cd and repair the install.
    Let us know! Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    I would try recovery console before a repair, the hanging on AGP.sys is like the defacto standard spot for PC's experiencing drive problems to hang at, whether they be hardware of software. Dunno why, just always is the case. I have never seen an XP/2K PC hang any place else except AGP.sys, therefore its not really a good troubleshooting tool like MS says. Used to work in the W9X days, but not on 2k/XP.

If you have a raid array, which I cant determine from what you said, if you have a mirror, swap drive 1 out and boot, if it hangs, shutdown, swap drive 2 out, should boot. If it is raid 0, you are toast and your data will not be recoverable without a pretty penny if chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr dont fix the drive.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

• Options
    You deal with computers, you should ALWAYS have some kind of a backup.

Yeah, I know icon_redface.gif .....
  • Options
    Recovery console has done it. I only ran the chkdsk command, took a while, hung up a bit at 75%, made some funny disk noises, then zoomed to 100%, said it found some errors, and fixed them. So, all is good here, thanks to all who offered advice! Now, I just need a good backup drive....no more plugging the shredder into the Ups either....
  • Options
    right on, chkdsk is a beautiful thing :D
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2