Options

Inexpensive tablet recommendation - anyone?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Better half has decided that all the nieces and nephews need a tablet for Christmas. Ipads are out, Kindle Fire is a possibility. Mind you, these rug rats are 6-10 yrs old. So if anyone has had any luck with some of the lesser known tablets, I would appreciate knowing which ones you found worked ok.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm interested in suggestions as well. My kids 5-10 age range are asking for iPads but that's not happening. I might get them a cheap tablet to mess around with, but nothing too expensive as the ids will most likely break it eventually.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For kids i would recommend kindle fire first gen. You dont need HD or a camera. Plus right now MOMs get a discount at amazon on all kindle fires. I think they are at 139 bucks for the first gen kindle fire.

Want something newer and more powerful? then get a kindle fire HD or Google Nexus 7 for 199 each.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My three year old has been using my iPad since he was two. Haven't had any issues. I think once they get older it might be more at risk than at the stage he is at now.

Kindle Fire has "Free Time Mode" which if you read up on it makes the Fire the best family tablet overall compared to the iPad. You might have better luck with apps on Amazon because I read Amazon is doing a better job selling apps something like three times higher app profits, compared to Google so the kid friendly app developers might focus more on amazon's device.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just sold a 10.2" android pad, it was fine I had no toruble.
    I added into it:
    Kindle readers,
    ipad apps, Android apps,
    it could store and read .PDF as well as run gps, but gps consumed the battery huge.
    It was a Hong Kong clone and was very cheep. from day one i stored it under my seat in my car, so it bounce around allot. cheep and no worries, just sold it for 85.00 on ebay, new buyer, say very happy also.

oh yeah it had a HDMI output so you could watch movies on it or on a big screen.
    off course it had games also.
    superPad III gingerbread distro, I think they come with newer distro now
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I bought my son the Kindle Fire for Christmas, the non HD one. he's 8, it was $125 for the Cyber Monday deal, couldn't beat it...

if you read about the Kindle Free time stuff, it really makes it seem like the best idea
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bought my daughters the Leapfrog "leappad" ..they're younger, and we're paranoid about safety, so they'll have to wait to get a real tablet. Plus, one stroll over to youtube for "drop test" reveals the future for any tablet we might purchase for the kids.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Got a txt from a buddy in the same boat, and he just ordered two of these the other day: Tablet Pcs | Polaroid 7" Tablet And Keyboard Case | Shopko.com . Poloroid 7 inch tablet. I had seen one of these in Kohl's a few weeks back, but did not have a chance to play with it. Might have to check this out.