Options

Failed CCNA twice!

MortzgMortzg Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Oh God, once again. Well, a background story:

On 2010, I took all 4 modules of CCNA as part of curricula for my degree in Sys Admin in college. On 2011, I took CCNA Wireless and Advanced Routing CCNP (no certification exams of course), but I went through all those 6 modules and passed.

Last october, I thought I was ready, to get an insight of all material or data I thought could be forgotten, I used Todd Lammle´s Guide, Packet Tracer and the study guide from the Router Alley.

Today I failed again, though I felt I improved a bit.

My scores were:

Describe how a network works Last 38% / Today 63%
Switch and VLAN Last 57%/ Today 71%
IP Addressing Last 67%/ Today 50%
Conf Routers and tshoot Last 69%/ Today 54%
WLAN Last 100%/ Today 100%
Identify sec threats Last 67%/ Today 33%
NAT and ACLs Last 20%/ Today 60%
WAN Last 67%/ Today 33%

I failed the previous one with 696 and today with 709. I knew I did bad on the sims on the previous one, now I know I did great.

Any piece of advice?

Thanks in advance!!

PD. I´m from Guatemala, I took the exam in english, because Im very comfortable with speaking, writing and understanding.

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take the Boson Practice exam. That'll help out.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Read the Odom's book. It's kind of boring, but it helped me pass with a great score. Lammle's book was enough for CCENT, but I needed another source for ICND2.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to agree with this and Roguetadhg's recommendation. I'm getting ready for my third shot at the ICND2 next week. I've found Lammle's book to be lacking in depth and without the Boson testing engine I really wouldn't know my weak areas.
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    ^ agree with everything said above.
  • Options
    Well,

Thanks for the reply. I took the composite 640-802 or so. Where can I get Boson's and Odom's? Should I change my approach, doing ICND1 and 2? SOOOOO Fruuustrating....

Thanks in advance!

PD. Hate it when everyone at work asks how it went. =(
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say if you are struggling with the composite then step back and take the 2 tests instead..

I know what you mean about everyone asking.. so I typically dont tell anyone im taking an exam until after the fact :)
  • Options
    palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    U really scare me..my schduled date for the exam is 22nd of this month.I have this activation code given to me from the Odom's book that i purchased but the network diagrams for the questiuons just wudnt open.Don't know what to do icon_sad.gif(
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cisco Network Simulator | IT Practice Exams | IT Training | Boson.com

I usually suggest going the two test route... However... You've already seen the CCNA composite test twice, coupled with CCNP and CCNA:Wireless. You've got advanced knowledge.

The composite isn't as deep as the individual tests. You'll need to know more finer details, and more in depth knowledge. But it is a cheaper fail. I'm sure 150 is a lot easier to choke down than 300 shells. It was for me, anyways!

It's really up to you. Only you know how you did and how much effort you've put into those classes as well as any out-of-class work... Most of us tend to put in sleep-less nights grinding away at labs. That's what it takes though, going over and over the material to understand and be able to explain theories in your own words.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    @Palit:

Dont be scared, just focus on your topics. I went through the blueprint of CCNA (google CCNA Blueprint) that will give you an idea of what you should be pushing over.

I can tell that the CCNA composite really digs up in your knowledge about small details, no matter whats your level on each topic, there's always something you miss at certain point.

Sims are pretty easy, just remember each command for topics.

Advice: Put an extra effort in ACLs and NAT, also WAN.
  • Options
    Geez...57 bucks for Odom's guide (640-802). Ships to my country for 37 bucks more. Sucks...any ideas?
  • Options
    Where do you live? Have considered maybe just buying the e-book?
  • Options
    Guatemala Central America, well I think its a good investment though. Dont know about you guys, but I rather read a book than an ebook. Nothing like writing notes and highlighting important stuff.

Is Odoms book separated in ICND1 and 2? Or is it all mixed up?
  • Options
    You can get used ones on Amazon for dirt cheap. That might at least bring the price down. Does Amazon ship to Guatemala? I'd send my ICND1 book your way for cheaper, but I don't know if my friends from Panama are headed back to Central America yet. I'm sure it would be cheaper to mail from Panama than the States.

By the way, the 2nd edition is just as good as the 3rd from what I understand. Also, the 3rd edition doesn't come with the Boson test engine which is one of the best benefits to come with the book.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Mortzg - sorry to hear, man - as others have said before: (1) go the two-exam route (2) get a used copy of the 2nd edition of the ICND1 OCG

@veritas_libertas - I like your style - I see you are reading the FLG for ROUTE in preparation for your ICND2 - do you plan to knock off ICND2 and ROUTE in quick succession?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    That really should be "On my shelf to read, or lightly touched" LOL

I'm going to pursue ROUTE after I finish ICND2. I'm going to take a month off first though, and catch up on some reading. I would like to nail down my Ethernet book and maybe TCP/IP Illustrated before hand. I really need to do some pleasure reading.
  • Options
    Well it does ship to my POBox, shipping to Guatemala is out of bounds man, almost 40 bucks for customs tax and stuff.

Unfortunately, that book comes only in spanish to Guatemala. Is there a place I can get the boson engine separately? Was thinking to get the 3rd edition for 640-802.
  • Options
    palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advices but I have already rescheduled my exam to 12th of Jan 2013 ;)
    And these are all I intend to do in the little time I have got :
    1.Go through Odom's ICND2..thoroughly this time
    2.Practice more labs
    3.Have bought this examcram book by Jeremy Ciora..gotta solve all the questions
    4.Practice with as many mock tests as possible

JUST WANNA PASS IT !!!!Wish me luck :)
  • Options
    Update:

Just ordered Examcram by the guy from CBT, and 31 days before CCNA.

Wish me luck!
  • Options
    I think my next attempt will be February...what do you guys think?