Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Hi,

I have been setting up "Windows XP Mode" on some computers at work to run an old program that only works well in xp.

It works fine as a single user but will not work properly for other domain users.
(I can run the VM ok in itself as other users but for other users the XP Mode Applications do not show up, I have tried copying these to all users to no avail.

Does anyone run XP Mode with the VM's joined to a domain or just as a VM on the local PC?
the reason I ask this is for Group Policy restrictions such as internet access etc apply to the VM as well as the Windows 7 Host PC.

Any pointers welcomed please.

Comments

• MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For apps that I use Xp mode for at work, they are not joined to the domain. I do have to make sure that under network card that it's not set to NAT and points to the specific network card to communicate properly.

I assume that these programs do not run in their windows 7 under compatibility mode? The only apps that I cannot get to work are those that block them from being installed because they are so old.
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    For apps that I use Xp mode for at work, they are not joined to the domain. I do have to make sure that under network card that it's not set to NAT and points to the specific network card to communicate properly.

thanks for the reply.

I have spent hours tweaking compatibility mode to no avail. It's Macromedia Suite MX 2004 I'm unable to run.

In the meantime I have seen a post elsewhere regarding NAT, my pc's (test ones - not rolled it out yet), must have NAT setup, not amended it to host NIC yet to try.

More testing required :)
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    for the business sector microsoft released med-v, if its in the budget it's probably a better solution then configuring it one by one.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    XP mode is per user on the computer, there are some hacks people have done but it is not pretty Windows XP Mode - 1 VM for multiple users?

doing a quick search most people say that suite works under Windows 7, have you tried compatibility mode and run as administrator options?
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    netsysllc wrote: »
    url]

doing a quick search most people say that suite works under Windows 7, have you tried compatibility mode and run as administrator options?

Thanks for the replies. I agree that it's meant as per user.

I have tried the compatibility mode and run as administrator options and am still getting program hangs and intermittent success. i.e. works ok for some and not others (and they all have the same mandatory profiles)