Options

ethernet vs serial

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
In a lab environment is there a significant reason 1 would prefer to use serial connections like a WIC2T vice just using cat5 with a WIC1 DSU T1?

I know traditionally with serial connections you set encapsulation, but i'm thinking that is a function of WAN protocols, not the physical media but I could be wrong.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Neither of those would use ethernet. There really isn't much difference for a lab environment between those two though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks, what do you mean on the first part though? That card has an RJ45 slot.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Thanks, what do you mean on the first part though? That card has an RJ45 slot.
    Different pinout and doesn't talk Ethernet
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ethernet is a standard that uses Cat5 and RJ45 but there are others What is the pinout for RJ45 cables?
  • Options
    grechygrechy Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not really unless the person is talking about clock rates ect. You might just find that the router in the lab was once used with wic2T modules ect.
  • Options
    interesting. So if I buy a device with one of those DSU cards, a standard RJ45 would not be used? Would I be better off just buying the 2T cards for simplicity?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A standard RJ45 is used, but it is not ethernet.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    interesting. So if I buy a device with one of those DSU cards, a standard RJ45 would not be used? Would I be better off just buying the 2T cards for simplicity?

You're confusing rj45 with ethernet. If it is a provisioned service from a provider, it really depends on how everything is cabled past the demarcation point. I have a ton of t1 circuits that get terminated to a biscuit jack inside the mdf or "it closet" and from that biscuit jack I can use a plain rj45 ethernet cable and plug in to a wic1dsu card.

Although for the sake of simplicity in the real world often times you will hear "ethernet handoff" which can imply the standard ethernet cable that you're thinking of or a t1 which uses an rj45 plug and looks like a regular ethernet cable but the pinout is different.
  • Options
    Ok, I get that. So it would make more sense to get the serial cards with SS cables.

*sighs*

more money if I do this lab.
  • Options
    Ok, I get that. So it would make more sense to get the serial cards with SS cables.

*sighs*

more money if I do this lab.

Not really. You can get wic1dsu cards on ebay for $5. Wether or not you trust the authenticity of the card is entirely up to you. Personally I would get wic1dsu cards because cat5 cables are easier to manage than dce cables.
  • Options
    the routers come with the dsu cards, but it sounds like you guys are saying the physical pinout for connecting a cat5 cable to one of these cards would be different.

basicly i want to get 3 routers that currently have these cards and connect them with cat5 cables and run WAN protocols over them ala:

premiumsecuritylab.jpg
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used the WIC 1 DSU T1 for my CCNA studies
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    the routers come with the dsu cards, but it sounds like you guys are saying the physical pinout for connecting a cat5 cable to one of these cards would be different.

basicly i want to get 3 routers that currently have these cards and connect them with cat5 cables and run WAN protocols over them ala:

Okay, you can do that. You can always buy t1 cables from monoprice, or even make them yourself if you have a crimper and the plugs. Just google t1 pinout.