Options

SUSE (SLES) vs RedHat (RHEL)

Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
Let me first start out by stating that I am a HUGE SUSE Linux fan!! I have been using there server platform for more 10 years now.

SUSE has always had superior support and an outstanding product development team. The instances where I had to place a call with RedHat, if I was not calling from a government agency I can expect poor/little technical support. Installation of software Oracle/MySql etc., seemed to be a breeze. The SUSE administrative tools that are offer by SUSE seem to be far superior to RedHat (WebYast, AutoYast, Yast2). Although I work with both OS platforms i much more prefer SLES. Just wanted to get the tech communities opinion.
"The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    it all depends on where you are, in the states redhat is used more than suse, its the exact opposite in europe

personally i prefer debain based systems
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    personally i prefer debain based systems

I dig Debian-based systems (especially Mint), but the most stable end-user distro I've run into yet was probably OpenSUSE.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I'm in a Novell/SLES/SLED shop and I enjoy it as a linux OS. I've played around with other OS's but not near as much as I have with SUSE so I don't have much for comparison...
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    SLES is definitely more familiar in europe/asia than in the US, but RHEL (versions 4.x/5.x/6.x) in my company & for me.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Redhat or Debian allday for me, Didn't really get on with SUSE i'm sure it is good but right now Deb and Redhat are my focus and they both do what I want them to do and are easy to use.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Looking at it from more of a enterprise solution...I wish more companies in the US would take advantage of SUSE Enterprise solution. In comparison to cost SUSE beats out the competition. Of course in most companies I have worked...the technical OS solution must be supported; so that meant SUSE or RedHat. No corporate experience with Debian or some of the other freeware linux; since most of my installs were supporting SAP, Oracle MySQL and other enterprise applications. Also supporting major enterprise services such as Web, DNS, DHCP and Proxy servers.

Primarily my home desktop is openSUSE and MAC OS X. In the end it is all Linux....guess I prefer SUSE Linux over the other.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    @OP - I don't see a question? icon_razz.gif Seems like you've already got an opinion icon_wink.gif
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I prefer RHEL/CentOS but I've also gotten used to Debian after having it running on my Raspberry Pi for a while.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've only used opensuse but I've seen some suse enterprise cds lying around at work some I'm sure we have some customers using it. Most of the servers I've dealt with so far are RedHat, CentOS or Ubuntu server but I'm more of a RedHat/CentOS fan myself.
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been working with both enterprises (SLES, RHEL) linux for more than 5 years now and can tell that each one has strong and weak parts; for example, I hate how SUSE network configuration is initiated, via eth hw IDs/MAC (of course this can be manually changed to the classic way via persistent names), or etherchannel (bonding) configuration (bonding config via yast is not always working) ... is far way simple to do it in RedHat linux (and derivates)...
    Since both distros are rpm-centric and daily-basis tasks are pretty much same (yum works also with SLES, along with yast and zypper), is better to know both variant, so the switching from one to the other will be easier in real world (for example when you got a new job and the new company is using the other linux entreprise solution than your previous company you worked for is using).
  • Options
    Cool. Just wondering what other people are using out there in the corporate environments and there opinions.
  • Options
    Marco.....Did you find the Novell CLA difficult? I have often toyed with the ideal.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The linux guys I talk to can't forgive SUSE for working closely with Microsoft. I would hate to think that has anything to do with deciding one distro over another, but every time I have asked a linux pro why they preferred RHEL SUSE's cooperation with Microsoft is not far from their lips...which is interesting because Fedora/CENTOS/and RHEL work great in Windows domains.
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chivalry1 wrote: »
    Marco.....Did you find the Novell CLA difficult? I have often toyed with the ideal.

No, no difficult at all (or maybe because of my experience with linux);
    just lost focus on a couple of questions at the exam (http://www.techexams.net/forums/novell-certification/58622-passed-cla-today.html)...
    Anyway, I intend to follow more linux certs path in 2013 (for both SLES and RHEL) and I recommend this to anyone who wants to follow a career in linux
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Chivalry1 wrote: »

FWIW it's a bonus cert (along with the LPIC-1 and Novell DCTS) if you pass CompTIA's Linux+
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    or just LPIC-1
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The linux guys I talk to can't forgive SUSE for working closely with Microsoft. I would hate to think that has anything to do with deciding one distro over another, but every time I have asked a linux pro why they preferred RHEL SUSE's cooperation with Microsoft is not far from their lips...which is interesting because Fedora/CENTOS/and RHEL work great in Windows domains.

I kind of like the idea of linux working with Microsoft. That just means more support for linux in mainstream applications in the long run. I also know a few linux people who hate RedHat because it's a corporate distro that charges for support but I don't see anything beneficial career-wise about being anti-corporation.
  • Options
    W Stewart wrote: »
    I kind of like the idea of linux working with Microsoft. That just means more support for linux in mainstream applications in the long run. I also know a few linux people who hate RedHat because it's a corporate distro that charges for support but I don't see anything beneficial career-wise about being anti-corporation.

At some point in time all Enterprise Linux solutions (RedHat & SUSE) worked with Microsoft; whether they admit it or not.
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    As someone who is new to Linux administration I have to say I’m very disappointed in the amount general SLES support available. I worked at a company previously that had about 6 CentOS boxes, but I mostly did Windows Admin(8 years) so I have a couple years real world Linux admin. I’ve also been using Fedora for the last couple of years as my desktop.

This new job I’m at we have RHEL 5.5 on our baremetal servers and SLES 11 R2(free with our VMWare so we only use it for virtualized Linux instances). They’re doing that to save money only. I have to say that confuses the crap out of me. I know the differences are slight, but enough to be annoying and it’s more a problem of me not being a seasoned Linux guy. I can ALWAYS seem to find the answer I need with the RHEL distros online or otherwise, but with SLES they are few and far between. Other than the online manual, which is good, the most relevant book I could find is over 2 years old, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Administration (Novell, Eckart). There’s just not a great book like the Practical Guide to RedHat (Sobell). When I got on the OpenSUSE forums to try and find out if there was a version of OpenSUSE(ie 11.1, 12.1) similar to our version of SLES(11sp2) so I could load it on my home machine, they basically ripped me a new one.

If it were my choice, we’d be using RedHat/CentOS.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I have been a Solaris support guy for many years now, and I was part of the professional services at Sun Microsystems. Honestly, if you have mission critical financial system or something critical like a military base server, I think Solaris win for the stability and support. It's more expensive to have a Solaris SPARC setup though.

As everyone said above, the quality of support depends on your geographical location. At the end of the day it's a matter of sales and marketing. If the sales guy can sell your manager something, then that's what you will be using ;)

I'd choose Red Hat over SUSE specially that IBM is backing them up big time.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    W Stewart wrote: »
    ...but I don't see anything beneficial career-wise about being anti-corporation.

+1 bias to or against a vendor is complete insanity to me, career-wise and personal-wise.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry about the language but I have worked alongside some opinionated dicks in my time :) Some of the Linux vets as soon as you mention Microsoft that is it cue endless rants and ridicule for even considering deploying a Microsoft platform or Windoze as they call it.

Then there is the whole GUI vs CLI debate why waste energy even arguing about this trivial thing my approach is use what you are comfortable with and use whatever gets the job done.

I use both Windows and Linux both have there flaws and positives if you can use and support both I see it as a bonus right?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I have been a Solaris support guy for many years now, and I was part of the professional services at Sun Microsystems. Honestly, if you have mission critical financial system or something critical like a military base server, I think Solaris win for the stability and support. It's more expensive to have a Solaris SPARC setup though.

As everyone said above, the quality of support depends on your geographical location. At the end of the day it's a matter of sales and marketing. If the sales guy can sell your manager something, then that's what you will be using ;)

I'd choose Red Hat over SUSE specially that IBM is backing them up big time.

Dont have much experience with Solaris. I knew of some institutions running the older sun platform but most have upgraded to RedHat. From what I hear most Solaris administrators swear by the new SPARC technology/superiority.

Good point regarding the geographical location and support. I think where most supported linux companies fail (SLES, RHEL, Solaris) is there lack of strategic marketing. RedHat does somewhat of a better job than the others, but not significantly.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Chiv Last enterprise I worked in used RHEL 5.5 and 6 I believe for their Java Developers client side OS. They also used Red Hat for the Linux server OS's.