Options

Network+ with only Technotes?

NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
I have decided my next big exam is going to be a SCTE exam. However, it will be a while until I get the materials. So, I think Im going to take the Network+ in the meantime.

Everyone says the Technotes for Johan has put together for the Network+ are great. Do you think a person could pass the Network+ using the Technotes as your only study resource?

Comments

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I passed the exam when it was still using the 2002 objectives and i beleive that the 6.95 usd version of the technotes would have been enough to pass the exam. Im not certain if he has added the new materials for the 2005 objectives.

Be sure to know the troubleshooting sections of the test its the area that seems to be giving alot of people trouble. Also i would recommend knowing *ALL* the information from the technotes. He has slimmed it down from the 400-500 pages that most tech books are to a nice condensed but very informative guide. So basically dont think you can skip a section or two and think you can do alright; its all needed.

But even if you study more than the technotes go ahead and buy them they made one heck of a supplement to my studying and the 7 bucks help keep this site going.
  • Options
    RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    No, currently the tech notes are out of date.

The major changes with N10-003 are with the wireless setup and new OSes (Mac OS X, Unix, Windows 2003 Server) compared to old N10-002 material.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Be sure to know the troubleshooting sections of the test its the area that seems to be giving alot of people trouble. Also i would recommend knowing *ALL* the information from the technotes. He has slimmed it down from the 400-500 pages that most tech books are to a nice condensed but very informative guide. So basically dont think you can skip a section or two and think you can do alright; its all needed.
    Exactly. Well, at least for the old objectives, because:
    Im not certain if he has added the new materials for the 2005 objectives.
    No, I haven't updated the Network+ TechNotes yet, check out the following topic for more info:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9410

Make sure you download that PDF that contains the changes between N10-002 and 003 from the Comptia site (net+ exam objectives section there contains an extra PDF)

So I agree with RZetlin, the current TechNotes alone are not enough. Another major change is the addition of more fiber technologies such as 10GbEthernet.

The following Security+ TechNotes cover almost everything you need to know about wireless networking for the Network+ exam:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/securityplus/wireless.shtml
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks for the input!

What do you guys think about the Sybex 4th edition Network+ book?
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did I miss something here or where is the point in going for Net+ if you are already a CCNA ?

Why not spend the time on something more valueable like CCNP or CCSP ?

Just my EUR 0.02 icon_smile.gif

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    I have a few things on the horizon, such as CCVP, MCSE and a headend certification covering a boatload of service cable and fiber material. Im thinking the headend certification is next, but my company pays for it, which means its going to be some time before I get the material. Ill probably have enough time to squeeze out my Network plus between now and then ;)
  • Options
    jd_mattosjd_mattos Member Posts: 134
    I only studied for 2 days for the Net+
    I used the technotes from here, and the practice tests from here and www.mcmcse.com I took the older exam tho.
    If you already have the CCNA I don't really think you have a need for it, other than you may just want it. You are probly already pretty good with network technologies so you should not have much of a problem.
    Check out the practice tests and see how well you do.
    Good Luck!