Greetings! Recent undergrad. Need Advice Please!

Prophet of CromProphet of Crom Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone! I'm new to the IT world. I recently received my AS (Associates of Science) degree in IT last May. I've been trying to get my foot in the door, however, I was busy these past few months with school (currently working on my Bachelor's degree). Anyway I've been studying for the A+ certification for a little over a month now. I would like to know if my strategy is sufficient enough to prepare for this test.

The book I'm using is CompTIA A+ Complete Review Guide by Sybex. I have been reading through each chapter while simultaneously taking notes for each chapter. I have also written down the glossary of terms onto flash cards (the glossary is provided via the CD from the book). Besides the vocabulary & the information in each chapter, the CD provides short question & answer questions as well as a Test Engine (the book says if you get more than 90% of the answers on the Test Engine right, you're ready for the certification exams).

My question is, should I continue to take notes from each chapter & study the glossary of terms or study the short Q&A questions plus the Test Engine? Also, should I invest in Transcender? I heard it was a very good exam prep tool.

Btw, is an A+ cert enough to get an entry-level job in the field? I'm very interested in the Security aspect of the field if that means anything. Apologies for the long read, thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A+ is more than enough to get an entry level position.

Personally, I wouldn't invest too much into the study test engines as the test itself is a breeze when I did mine 3 years ago. I'd only invest in transcender for harder certifications and not the A+.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    If you have an AS in IT and are working on your Bachelor's, I think an A+ is not a good time investment unless you want to start in the Help Desk/Field Tech/Office Tech track. If you're interested in Security go for the Security+ and try to get in a NOC somewhere.
  • Prophet of CromProphet of Crom Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    If you have an AS in IT and are working on your Bachelor's, I think an A+ is not a good time investment unless you want to start in the Help Desk/Field Tech/Office Tech track. If you're interested in Security go for the Security+ and try to get in a NOC somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. The reason why I desire the A+ cert is because I'm very eager to get a job in the field ASAP. I definitely need a job that can adequately aid me in providing for my living expenses (I have a part-time job @ a fast food joint in an amusement park). Plus I won't receive my Bachelors until 2014 so that won't aid me at the moment.

Nevertheless, I just want to take the necessary steps to getting a job in the field ASAP.