Options

N00b Recommendations - Where to Start?

DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've worked with Windows OS's most of my life but have very little experience with the server / active directory side of Microsoft. The majority of my IT experience is in the networking realm.

At my job we currently work with 2008 Server and will be for the next few years at least. We don't currently do much with active directory but we've had some internal discussions and will be in the not too distant future. My goals are to become familiar with the 2008 platform, help plan / implement AD in our organization and take the three exams to get my MCSA: SA 2008 certification.

I have purchased the MCITP Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator books with 640 / 642 / 646. I read the first few pages of 640 and I'm not certain if that is where I should start - it states it's more geared for someone with at least a years experience administering a server environment. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start...Should I just move ahead with those books or is there something else I should read or watch before diving into these?

I do have a lab with Server 2008 to work with as well as have been given the go ahead to get a subscription to a training site like CBTNuggets if I feel it will help me gain knowledge in this aspect.

Appreciate any help / suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As you state that your background is in networking, I would suggest that you start with the 642 exam. Good luck!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 642 is more networking related and may be easier for you to start on, But if you need to learn/know AD, 640 is the one that will teach you AD.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All of the exams are going to state the 1 year recommendation. Like Ivanjam and Cruwl, I recommend you start with the 70-642 exam. I usually tell people to start with the 640, but it has a lot of additional technologies that you don't need to deal with until you get familiar with Active Directory. With your networking experience, the 70-642 is a good start.

I also highly recommend you purchase the CBT Nuggets training videos; it was nice of them to offer. CBT Nuggets will definitely help you understand the information and help you learn how to perform the tasks you are required to know.

Good Luck!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+