Cisco 2503, n00b question.

Brendan1986Brendan1986 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Alright, I'm thinking about buying this 2503 from Ebay.

It says this.

1 x Ethernet AUI Port (supplied with AUI to RJ45 Adapter)
2 x Serial Ports (DB60)
1 x ISDN (BRI) port
1 x Console Port
1 x AUX Port

Cool, but I still don't know where the hell I plug **** in. Looking at a picture I found here,

cisco_cisco_2503.9.f2.jpg

It doesn't mean much to me. I'm assuming that the AUI > RJ45 adapter that is included provides one ethernet port, but where do I plug in another? Does the modem plug into the Aux port? I (think I) know that the whacky console port is used with that RJ-45 to DB-9 yeah?

Or am I totally off track here? icon_redface.gificon_confused.gif

Comments

• lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi there,

this 2503 is _not_ an Ethernet-to-Ethernet router that you might imagine.

The idea behind the 2503 is to connect a LAN to a WAN (or Internet).

For the LAN part you would use the AUI-Port (with the RJ45 adapter these days) and for the WAN/Internet part you could connect ISDN (obviously to the ISDN BRI port) or one of the Serial ports (for use with E1 or S2M as it's called over here).

I would say it's a good starting point for a home lab. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Brendan1986Brendan1986 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lordy wrote:
    Hi there,

this 2503 is _not_ an Ethernet-to-Ethernet router that you might imagine.

The idea behind the 2503 is to connect a LAN to a WAN (or Internet).

For the LAN part you would use the AUI-Port (with the RJ45 adapter these days) and for the WAN/Internet part you could connect ISDN (obviously to the ISDN BRI port) or one of the Serial ports (for use with E1 or S2M as it's called over here).

I would say it's a good starting point for a home lab. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Lordy

Hmmm, ok, that helps a lot, thanks!

So is the 2501 router the same as the 2503, not an ethernet-to-ethernet router? What about the rest of the 2500 series?

Thanks for the link Noods too, don't know how I missed that.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The 2503 is the same as the 2501 apart from the ISDN BRI interface on the 2503. As depicted in the link noods posted, you need at least two of them, doesn't matter whether they are 2503 or 01 or one of both. As long as you don't have to pay extra for the 2503 ;)

The AUI/Ethernet interface is basically the LAN. You can connect a PC to it (cross over utp) or a hub/switch, or other router. Most important are the serial interfaces, make sure you get a back-to-back cable for those (to form the WAN link between the two routers/LANs).
  • Brendan1986Brendan1986 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    The 2503 is the same as the 2501 apart from the ISDN BRI interface on the 2503. As depicted in the link noods posted, you need at least two of them, doesn't matter whether they are 2503 or 01 or one of both. As long as you don't have to pay extra for the 2503 ;)

The AUI/Ethernet interface is basically the LAN. You can connect a PC to it (cross over utp) or a hub/switch, or other router. Most important are the serial interfaces, make sure you get a back-to-back cable for those (to form the WAN link between the two routers/LANs).

Ah ok, cool. My current home setup is very basic (Internet > Netgear DG632 DSL router > 8port switch), and I was hoping on getting a router that I could practically use in my network while using it to practice for the CCNA. These definately do seem to fit the bill, but is this still ok? Also from the AUX port to the modem, do I use just a straight thru cable? (I am assuming that my router/modem will be fine to use via the AUX port if it is set to modem only mode).
  • QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    You mentioned that you want a router to use in your network? What are you planning to do with a router in your home network? The only applicable sense you can use it for is for a firewall.

I understand using a router or dual routers for study and hands on study... but to include it in the example you have just provided seems a bit odd. Im just asking so "we" can maybe help accomplish what you are attempting to do.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."