Options

Starting WGU 2/1/13.. Couple questions?

DACP_timDACP_tim Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm in the process of applying to WGU for a 2/1/2013 start date. I was hoping to be able to start 1/1 but it doesn't look like my transcripts will get there in time. I've been a SysAd for the Air Force for just over a year now. Was quite a career change from the police work I did in the Army. Between my AF training and working on my A.S. in Computer Science I have somewhere around 50 credits along with A+ and Sec+. I'm hoping to bang out this degree in two semesters. Aim high right? Heh.

What I'm wondering is with the 6+ weeks I have until I start, should I study and try to take another cert that will be in my degree plan so I won't have to take those classes? Cost of the exams aren't an issue with the GI Bill benefits I have.

I'm initially signed up for the IT-Software program but I'm highly considering the Security route with my police background and overall government experience.

So should I try to take one or two of the lower level CIW certs, or just study so when 2/1 rolls around I can take the cert on WGU's dime right away?

Thanks!
Army OIF Vet - SysAd for the Air Guard - WGU BS-IT Software starting 2/1/2013

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @DACP_tim - go for it but just remember there's a cutoff date to submit certs to WGU - I believe it is 01/21/13 in your case - plus there's the inevitable time lapse between when you take the exam at the testing center and when CIW, Cisco or MS receives the result (I suppose you could always email or fax a copy of your test results to WGU). Good luck, whatever path you choose!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DACP_tim wrote: »
    I'm in the process of applying to WGU for a 2/1/2013 start date. I was hoping to be able to start 1/1 but it doesn't look like my transcripts will get there in time. I've been a SysAd for the Air Force for just over a year now. Was quite a career change from the police work I did in the Army. Between my AF training and working on my A.S. in Computer Science I have somewhere around 50 credits along with A+ and Sec+. I'm hoping to bang out this degree in two semesters. Aim high right? Heh.

What I'm wondering is with the 6+ weeks I have until I start, should I study and try to take another cert that will be in my degree plan so I won't have to take those classes? Cost of the exams aren't an issue with the GI Bill benefits I have.

I'm initially signed up for the IT-Software program but I'm highly considering the Security route with my police background, clearance, and overall government experience.

So should I try to take one or two of the lower level CIW certs, or just study so when 2/1 rolls around I can take the cert on WGU's dime right away?

Thanks!

What degree are you going for? If it's Security, start working on the 70-680 (MCTS) exam and 640-822, 640-816 (CCENT/CCNA). Those will be your hardest certifications in the course. 2 semesters will be challenging, 3 may be a bit more realistic if you work your ass off. Either way, best of luck to you!
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 70-680 as mentioned is something I would hit the books for right away, before you start. It's a tough exam and one of the hardest ones in the security track, if not, the hardest.

This comes from my mentor and I believe him, as I just took the test for the second time. Got a 500 the first time and then a 920 the second.

There is a deadline on when you take the exams to have them transferred in, so if you have the time to squeeze one in, go ahead, otherwise I would wait and take it on their dime, since it's included in your tuition.
  • Options
    DACP_timDACP_tim Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think I'm going the software route. I'm almost done with my A.S. in a Computer Science transfer program through a local community college. I'm switching to WGU because I'm coming off Active Duty in October and want to try to make myself as marketable as possible. I know the cert's I get from attending WGU will do just that. With that comes my bind, I know the security route gets me some highly sought after certs like the CCNA. I thoroughly enjoy programming, but have been working as a Sys/Net Ad for a year now. I feel like thats where my life is taking me, though it might not necessarily be my passion. I have a strong security (though not fully IT security) background.
    Army OIF Vet - SysAd for the Air Guard - WGU BS-IT Software starting 2/1/2013
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    DACP_tim wrote: »
    I think I'm going the software route. I'm almost done with my A.S. in a Computer Science transfer program through a local community college. I'm switching to WGU because I'm coming off Active Duty in October and want to try to make myself as marketable as possible. I know the cert's I get from attending WGU will do just that. With that comes my bind, I know the security route gets me some highly sought after certs like the CCNA. I thoroughly enjoy programming, but have been working as a Sys/Net Ad for a year now. I feel like thats where my life is taking me, though it might not necessarily be my passion. I have a strong security (though not fully IT security) background.

If you are more interested in the Software branch then go for it - you are at a point where you get to redefine your life; do you take the opportunity and just continue in the direction you "seem to be headed" or to pursue your passion?

Certs have a value, but I would argue you shouldn't just collect them because they are marketable.

As for studying before school starts, yes, you should, but as others have pointed out there is a deadline for transcripts/transfer credits and I would keep your GI Bill for something bigger than a cert. Study now for one or two certs so you are ready to test once school starts. Your mentor may want you to take a pre-test or two, but you should be able to knock them out fairly quickly.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...