Options

Offered new job (IT Security Manager)

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just verbally accepted a IT security management position for a large health care provider.

The position is aligned with where I want to head. Instead of managing support teams I am transitioning to managing IT access management and provision teams.

I am very excited about the opportunity and can't wait to get going. I am extremely nervous, anxious, and excited. All the key emotion to know you selected the correct job. It's a new endeavor but one I have to take. I am looking forward to the world of security and compliance.

I recently started up my PMP studies and plan on finishing my MBA in Feb.

Once those two beast are completed I will assess the situation. I expressed interest into security management certifications but will probably wait several years before taking any. All the good ones seem require 2-3 years of experience. (That's fine with me)

Once again thanks to this forum for helping me create a road map to get where I want to go.

Comments

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! sounds like a very exciting job and career direction. Good luck!!!!
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats @N2IT and good luck on the new assignment! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats bro! Keep up the momentum :)
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Thanks gang

Monday I should receive the offer letter. I am exciting about managing the team and provide CSI and process improvement.
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is great to hear!!!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Exciting! Good luck with your new opportunity :)
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So N2, did you score this job wearing your famous Adidas shorts and suit top outfit? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    LOL

NIce 1

This was done all face to face.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Congrats! That sounds like an exciting new direction that could open up a lot of doors for you.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! I'm glad to read that you got the job - what a great way to start the new year!!!
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Congrats! How long were you with the company your about to leave?
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    Wise win. ~6 months - I like where I am at but this opportunity is impossible to pass up. I'd like to lateral a few times n the management world and eventually transition into a director.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Same area? Further drive? % salary increase? Other perks?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    20 minutes added onto the drive. More money and paid vacation. More prestigous role and different responsibilities. I really like the fact it gives me the opportunity to hone my project and operational management skills while learning about security.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Way to go! I'd hate the drive, but it sounds like it's worth it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Way to go! I'd hate the drive, but it sounds like it's worth it.

2 weeks have been officially submitted. Actually it's 9 business days, I wasn't afforded the luxury to provide a full 9 days. I have to admit that bothers me a bit, but overall the position is a big upgrade.

Just wanted to keep you all posted without creating a new thread.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats man, you've obviously been working very hard both in- and outside of work and you're reaping the fruits of your labor! Keep us updated with the new position icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You da man Pat!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Bigbill810Bigbill810 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Any words of wisdom for a fledgeling that aspires to be get his CCIE Security, and the jobs that come along with it? :)
    A+ >70-685 Windows 7 EDST > Security+ > ITILv3 > VCA-DCV > VCA-CLOUD > CCNA > CCNPCOMPLETE / IN PROGRESS / FUTURE GOAL
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats and best of luck!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!!! Sorry for the late response, I hope you enjoy the new gig.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    BigBill

I really don't have much advice to offer. (High Level) all I can offer is to make sure your experience aligns with your certifications. If you work in a NOC as a level 1 for 1 year I wouldn't recommend getting a NP or IE. Just my 2 cents. However, if you have been a engineer for several of years and feel the material on the IE exam aligns with your skills then Iw ould highly consider it.

This role is more around access management/identity management and policy and governance.
  • Options
    Today was my last day. It wasn't pretty but I survived and now tomorrow I will be officially an IT Security Operational Manager. Excited!
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    icon_thumright.gif good luck on your first day.
  • Options
    Thanks Paul! Appreciate the good wishes!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm a little late, congrats! Looks like the hard work is paying off for you.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm late as well, congrats!!
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    Appreciate the congrats

Today and tomorrow should be a lot of information but low expectations. Should be fun and it's a short week.

One piece of the position is strictly operational and the other piece is project oriented along with process improvement. It should be a fun gig.