Linkedin, worth it?

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does linkedin really work well for some people?

I set up my profile and I'm applying to positions now, but I feel as if it's almost like a monster.com website. I NEVER had luck with monster.com
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone have any tips ?
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't really give much thought to Linkedin until recently. I just used to to keep in contact with vendors and people I work with that I would not add on Facebook, etc. Last week a recruiter from a major company here contacted me via Linkedin and I have a phone interview next week icon_cheers.gif. Just connect with as many people as you can, you can find a lot of people on there now a days; coworkers, teachers, etc.

The only time I have ever used monster is to apply to jobs that were only taking applications via monster.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Monster to me was just a way to apply to billions of jobs like millions of other people with a single click.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It is working well for me for the purpose of keeping in touch with people I know professionally.
    While not on the market, I get an average of two solicitations a week from recruiters on open positions, so FWIW, there is some hiring activity going on...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Last 2 jobs came from linkedin messages. Speaks for itself :D
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Tons of recruiters and an HR manager or two haved checked my profile before they contacted me... It's kind of funny hearing someone introduce their name and knowing where they went to school, where they work, and all the things they are into professionally before you even say "Yes, Chitownjedi speaking!"

Also I've made sure to get a few of the people who I worked with and managers to give me Recommendations for my work, and I've recommended those who I have worked with. I think its a beneficial... I've read some articles that say 70%+ of HR and recruiters check to see if you have a Linkedin page now before initiating contact. I don't doubt that number might be inflated, but I don't know how long it will be inflated.

P.S I have an interview up here for an Associate Enigneer job and the Coporate Recruiter who called me for it has a Linkedin Profile, and I've used it to monitor the position since I had just started a 3 month contract when she called originally first week of October, and I'm not one to jump around 1 week after a contract...plus I'm doing windows 7 migrations, and this gig just some high level Help Desk...(But it pays a lot more) but I've kept contact through Linkedin, and what do you know, position is still there... and Until next month get here, I will be interviewing for optimal positions until I am officially relocated, or ("find that dream job".)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have it set up correctly then the recruiters can run some software which will flag your resume/profile.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LinkedIn is first designed for "professional" networking, and last for job searching. Just like networking in person- it all starts with a relationship.

So if you treat LinkedIn like a chamber of commerce meeting, a get-together- whatever, and focus on meeting people and building relationships, the job opportunities will follow. I have gotten the oddball messages about positions from LinkedIn, but generally most meaningful offers have come from associates I had on LinkedIn.

Just my $.02 at least. I wouldn't think of it as a job site, per-se, but rather a feature of a professional networking site.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I haven't really tried to use Linkedin for unsolicited opportunities but I found it's useful to collect people on there that I've met over my career and it's a good way to keep into contact with them without the risk of losing track of their e-mail address or add them on my Facebook. I usually try to send out a Linkedin e-mail to them all every 6 months or so letting everyone know I'm still alive, what I've been up to, wishing them a good (whatever holiday), etc so I stay on their radar. You never know when you might need a job down the road or what opportunity they have available.

If you're new to the IT field, it's also useful to go to local tech meetups, groups, etc and just add people on Linkedin as you meet them. That way they can get a good impression of you in person and they'll see your credentials on your Linkedin to get a better idea of what you're capable of
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think its an extremely valuable tool for networking. In addition, its helpful when looking for a job. For example, you can search your network to see if you know anyone at that organization and then ask for an introduction. I think everyone should have a LinkedIn IMO.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Yes it works very well, I've gotten all my contacts / offers through Linkedin
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    LinkedIn is very useful. I've had major companies such as Yahoo, VMware, SoftChoice contact me over LinkedIn. It's how I got my current job. I use it to analyse data, look up hiring managers/HR recruiters, peoples credentials, published articles, and so much more.

My advice is not to add everyone in the database. If they reject you too many times, LinkedIn sends you a warning message. Start by joining groups, complete your profile, add a photo (yes, photo does help and make sure it's professional). There's also a TE group on LinkedIn.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    I've had a couple of people contact me about jobs through linkdin. I joined because my employer made us join. I had never heard of it before. I wasn't actively looking for a job at the time.

It is a good place to go to make contacts with other people. Especially when just entering the field or trying to get a new job with greater responsibility.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Where does one begin on Linkedin if I'm looking to make contacts to begin my career in IT?
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    Where does one begin on Linkedin if I'm looking to make contacts to begin my career in IT?

Start with adding all of your friends, school mates, professors. Join groups and participate. then go from there.
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Start with adding all of your friends, school mates, professors. Join groups and participate. then go from there.

Okay will do. Thanks.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I get legitimate emails and calls for positions from my profile all the time, including the new gig I just accepted.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've had a recruiter contact me through LinkedIn. I think it's worth it. My main use for it is keeping up with former coworkers and managers. I also link-up with TE members and other professionals that are in similar roles or roles I want to be in. The key is being, "Linked". It's for networking, not finding a job.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    its definitely worth it. I've had a few recruiters(direct & 3rd party) contact me. If you have it looking proper, you'll get calls. Plus, if pplz recommend you, or endorse your skills, that also helps.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I have, but don't use it. Frankly the constant emails and reminders annoy the hell out of me. And there are creeps in my line of work that are trying to network with me.

I equate it to other social networks at this point. They can all be equally useful, annoying or dangerous. I know it's been good for others, but I have no use for it right now.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    It's been good for me as a degree of separation between Facebook (private life) and LinkedIn (work life). I have a personal policy that I do not connect online socially with coworkers/managers on FB unless we are friends outside of work. For the remainder, including people I meet at conferences or other tech-related events, LinkedIn is an easy way to keep in touch.

As others have pointed out, you never know when you'll need to call on someone for help with a project or if you are looking for a new job. I have also been contacted by recruiters but they seem to have issues evaluating their keyword searches...
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Linkedin has worked well for me but beware of those annoying/stalkerish recruiters (not all of them are). Just make sure your profile is interesting and has buzzwords, recruiters will start contacting you.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find that it's a great tool not only to keep track of co-workers, but also classmates.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's been a great way to expand my networking contacts and I've got some great opportunities on it. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Mjstokes90Mjstokes90 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a Linkedin account, but I barely use it.
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    didint read all posts however it works very well. yesterday i pressed on " apply" button for a job and today i got phone call..
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I read the group postings for the groups I am in. Sometimes there is good information, sometimes there is a lot of "trying to make myself look important" posts.

For job searches I have never used it but I get contacted due to it on a regular basis.
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    Linkedin: helpful or no?
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 for helpful.

I think its good for networking with other people in your field. You can also participate in discussions in groups on there and stand out to potential employers. Its like the business version of FB.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    #1 good resource...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....