Is Windows 8 family and/or Windows Server 2012 significantly differ

chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
from Windows 7 and/or Server 2008 and earlier, in terms of internal Windows structures? Thanks.

Comments

• it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Yes. The kernel is very similar but it has been significantly altered with security and stability improvements.

Windows Server 2012 is a whole different animal. It isn't that you won't recognize it as a Windows Server, but in terms of its offerings it is a nice incremental improvement over Server 2008R2.

In terms of virtualization technologies, Server 2012 is in a different league. It can support more processors, more memory, and larger VHD files (64TB as opposed to 2TB) than 08R2. It supports VM replication, running VMs from SMB 3.0 shares, live migration without shared storage, etc. The SMB 3.0 should be really exciting to everyone because it allows you to run HA with shared storage on the file level as opposed to block level. Read "limited need for SAN" in that statement. Instead of having a massive zone with hundreds of paths (multi path for each hyper-V host) you cluster 4 or 5 file servers instead and then run your HA environment on top of that.

There are other improvements like hardware independent NIC teaming with Hyper-V port built in. Improvements to Windows backup. Volume dedupe (extremely cool) and some other stuff. It seems like a very solid offering which should challenge both VMWARE and Red Hat in the enterprise.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Hi Sir, thank you for sharing. Do you have any book/video/website in mind that allow me to delve into more details of its working?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would say that Windows Server 2012 is probably the most important release of the server OS from Microsoft in a very long time. ResFS is another extremely interesting feature to tack on to it_consultant's list. Another thing to mention is the amazing improvement of VM-based IO for systems like SQL Server 2012.

Windows Server 2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    chopsticks wrote: »
    Hi Sir, thank you for sharing. Do you have any book/video/website in mind that allow me to delve into more details of its working?

I like the "unleased" series of books that are available at Barnes and Noble.

Windows Server 2012 Unleashed: Rand Morimoto, Michael Noel, Guy Yardeni, Omar Droubi, Andrew Abbate, Chris Amaris: 9780672336225: Amazon.com: Books

A whole book could be (and should be) written specifically on Server 2012 Hyper-V and SCVMM 2012. There is a lot of possibilities on the architecture side which makes it extremely flexible.
    chopsticks wrote: »

I like the "unleased" series of books that are available at Barnes and Noble.

Windows Server 2012 Unleashed: Rand Morimoto, Michael Noel, Guy Yardeni, Omar Droubi, Andrew Abbate, Chris Amaris: 9780672336225: Amazon.com: Books

A whole book could be (and should be) written specifically on Server 2012 Hyper-V and SCVMM 2012. There is a lot of possibilities on the architecture side which makes it extremely flexible.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1 for the Unleashed book. I used th 2008 edition and TechNet exclusively for my MCITP on Server 2008.