Options

Strange Windows gateway problem

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Scratching my head with this one, PC drops its gateway on boot or on change of NIC setting causing NIC to reset

Optiplex 790 Windows 7 64-bit

Yellow triangle on system tray icon so has a connection to network or else it would be red X
CMD - ipconfig release and renew restores gateway every time
IP is reserved by its MAC and it has this IP on boot, can also see 48 hour lease time started at time of boot
Cannot ping DHCP server or anything else on network
Installed a PCI NIC and obtained IP from DHCP server also with 48 hour lease time started at time of boot
CMD - ipconfig release renew restores gateway on this PCI NIC (INTEL origonal NIC is onboard Optiplex 790)

Only thing next for me to do is re install Windows 7

Has anyone seen this?

Thanks for your input

Lee

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It may be worth checking if any vpn devices are configured on the system. Next stop would be to clear out any ghost nics that are holding onto any settings.

Open up an administrative command prompt
    set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    devmgmt.msc
    Check show hidden devices

Clear out any nics that are no longer present. It may also be worthwhile to clear out the current nic's driver as well so that it reinstalls with defaults.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Could be an issue with the driver on the NIC itself. Have you tried updating the driver or a different NIC?
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I have this exact same issue with my laptop when it returns from sleep or hibernate. At first I thought it was an issue with how long it was off the network, but even if I put it to sleep and wake it up immediately I will be connected but have no internet access. In all honesty, I have given up on the issue though. I have reinstalled, reconfigured, re-everythinged and still have no luck. Something of note for me is that it is wireless only. Cycling the adapter does not resolve the issue.

I have a start-up script that runs release, renew, and flushdns. It fixes the issue and is faster than a reboot. Sorry I couldn't help, but wanted you to know you are not alone.