Options

Applying for Management Job

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
Well, my regular Monster search resulted in a job that seems to fit really well with where I want my career to go within the next couple of years. It is with a large medical insurer, but not the one I have thought that I would eventually pursue. It is somewhat odd because the description seems extremely senior level engineer, but the title is manager; I think that they are specifically looking for someone that is ready for the transition. I just have a feeling that even though I have had excellent performance in my current job, I will be passed over for additional responsibilities.

My only concern is that the pay may not be enough to entice me to move. I will owe my current employer a significant amount of money for leaving early in regards to my tuition reimbursement, but that should be covered my accrued hours for PTO (over five weeks). I think it will be a nice change of pace to get back into the private sector... it has been a real productivity and morale drag working as a contractor.

Anyhow, if anything, this is just a good exercise in interviewing. I will only move if this is a "near perfect" fit. I am not really looking to move right now, but I just finished up the masters degree and the way inflation is going, I could stand a good pay bump (15-20% would be great... I might settle for as little as 12% assuming benefits are good enough).

I'll keep you all posted.
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll do well. I concur on the comments with regards to contracting- just wasn't my thing either. Too much red tape- at least in my experience.

Just a thought, but if you want to get into management, check out "Good to great" by Jim Collins. It's a book aimed primarily at senior management types, but it's a fantastic read for new managers or experienced- it provides good insights either way. I read it after being a lead for a while, and took a lot away from it.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck on landing that job @powerfool! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]