Options

Achievement Unlocked: Offered the Security Analyst position

YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey all,

I have looked forward to this day for quite some time, and I am really happy to create my 'all-this-work-finally-paid-off' thread. I recently applied for a Security Analyst position with my current employer and a few weeks ago I had the phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 35 minutes, and I sort of owned it. Within three days I heard back and was told HR was 'preparing the offer'. Fast forward a few weeks and HR FINALLY got back to me, and told me to be in Phoenix by January 7th to begin working in the SOC icon_cheers.gif Additionally Phoenix is 'home' for me, and I'm excited to escape the Midwest - No offense to other Michiganders here, of course.

The SOC performs 24x7 network monitoring, manages the security appliances (Firewall, IDS, IPS, proxy, etc.), performs in-depth malware analysis, regulates industry compliance within the organization, etc. Basically everything I've been wanting to do and more.

I will be leaving Grand Rapids on 1/4, and I can't thank this forum enough for the guidance and support, this last year especially!

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dude. Congrats! Can I get your ASA now since you've landed a better job? :P

Are you still going after Linux+ and CCNA:Voice or do you think you'll continue with CCNP:Sec as well as more "security-centric" certs?

I can't give you anymore rep, just know that I did try to give you more :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Mjstokes90Mjstokes90 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Dude. Congrats! Can I get your ASA now since you've landed a better job? :P

Are you still going after Linux+ and CCNA:Voice or do you think you'll continue with CCNP:Sec as well as more "security-centric" certs?

I can't give you anymore rep, just know that I did try to give you more :)

Thanks! Yeah I'll PM you about the ASA, I have no problem with that.

Right now I'm focusing on GSEC because my exam challenge expires in March. I decided to get to Linux last, because I really want it fresh in my mind. Voice is now off the back burner and not a priority at all. CCNP: Sec does look awesome, I'm just not sure if I could go there without CCNP R/S first....so we shall see. I think GSEC is a good stopping point to take a break, so I might lay off for a few months after that.
  • Options
    Fair enough, You'll need some time to settle into the new groove anyways.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! That's a great way to start 2013!
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't blame you wanting to escape Michigan..with a better football team so close (Ohio), I'd move too :)

Just kidding of course....huge congrats on the new position. I wish you the best of luck in your new gig.
  • Options
    Steelers, the best. Phoenix can't touch them.

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    That's ma TEAM Rogue! I live right in the heart of Steeler country! Pittsburgh is a drinking city with a football problem!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats - you will still be able to have a white xmas in Michigan, but be back in time to enjoy the winter weather in Phoenix. Looks like I might end up in Phoenix this spring, just in time for the summer heat.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats man! Awesome opportunity. Are you planning on taking GSEC soon?
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @YFZblu - congrats on landing your dream job! icon_thumright.gif

@Roguetadhg - re: ASA - lmao icon_lol.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats on your new gig!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome, good luck and have a good time
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Sweeeeeeeeeet! Congrats. You definitely won't miss the humidity and freezing temps!
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    sagoloussagolous Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I just made my first thread here and its cool to see someone else from Grand Rapids. I wish you nothing but success.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations and no offense taken. I had to "escape" as well. ;)
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Gratz, man!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats OP. Good to hear of your success.

@rogue and @jd Go Ravens! Lol
    Goals for 2015: CCNP