ICND2 Passed -- CCNA Certified

kocherkocher Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Passed my ICND1 around the end of August with a 950. Finally got confident enough to take the ICND2 today. Scored a 972.

I used the CBT Nuggets videos, Wendell Odom 3rd Edition, Todd Lammle book, and the network simulator/practice tests from cisco network store(WGU provided).

Few of the test questions didn't make any sense; don't really want to say the specifics of the question cause of NDA obviously.

There were maybe 2 questions I didn't remember learning anything about from the sources listed...not sure if those were un-scored questions or something?

Either way, glad that mess is over for now, I’m going to knock out some gen. eds. then head into Security+.

Question though -- Does anyone have any opinions on getting Network+ at this point? It isn't offered through WGU for my course, and I don't need it for my job currently. Would I benefit from having it if I start applying elsewhere for jobs or just ride the CCNA?

Also if you recommend going for it, how different is it from the ICND1/2 CCNA material? Is there much else I'll have to review and cover, or can I basically go test for it now?

Thanks,
Kocher

Comments

• jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Congratulations on your pass, and that's a GREAT score!

As far as Network+, I personally don't see any reason to get it if you already have the CCNA. I studied for it for a while before getting my CCNA, and honestly all the information from that is part of the CCNA curriculum, so you already have the knowledge. As a matter of personal preference, I will at some point go back and get it, that way I complete the trifecta (A+,Net+, Sec+) but I am a completionist by nature. However at $250 per test, it's not real high on my list...

Your CCNA will open more doors than a Network+ cert will, just do a basic search on any job site. CCNA is requested way more often for actual network admin jobs than Net+ (come to think of it, I don't think I've seen Net+ requested outside of help desk positions.)

Congrats again!
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have your CCNA. Net+ is a downgrade. I mean.. it's a certification... but you really wouldn't learn anything new and probably roll your eyes at the material.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^+1, after passing the CCENT, I consider the Network+ a downgrade... I would knock out another cert in your curriculum with WGU at this point...
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • kocherkocher Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. Like jdballinger I more wanted it for completionism but didn't want to put it in front of more beneficial things if it wouldn't help progress me at the moment.

I believe I am going to start working on Sec+ next followed by the 70-680.

I have to knock out the MTA 349 basic OS class and don't have a testing center close. Figure I'll take that test next time I go to the in-laws as they have a testing center 30 minutes away...and it gets me outta the house! =)

Thanks again for the infos.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass and I would skip Network+ since you already have your CCNA!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @kocher - congrats on passing ICND2 and gaining your CCNA! icon_thumright.gif

I'll pm you my address so you can mail me a check for $253 - the amount you were planning to waste on the Network+. icon_lol.gif

Good luck on your next endeavor!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
  • kocherkocher Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass!
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gadav478 wrote: »
    ^+1, after passing the CCENT, I consider the Network+ a downgrade... I would knock out another cert in your curriculum with WGU at this point...

Agreed.
  • 2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I am following the same footsteps.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • CDelapenaCDelapena Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations