Options

First interview..Need help

sagoloussagolous Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
Little background about myself. Recent college graduate. Graduate with liberal arts degree. I started college with a Computer science major but decided I didn't care for programming as much as I thought I did. Fast forward to now. After a few months of not finding a job, I took and passed the 220-701 part of the A+ cert. I recently started applying to jobs and applied for a NOC technician at a telecomm company. I got a call for an interview this Friday but honestly I have very little knowledge of the responsibilities for the job. can anyone give me some tips or advice on what I should expect. I will be honest and tell them the things I dont know. Here's part of the application.

Receive incoming customer calls for trouble/technical support
· Create trouble tickets for incoming customer calls utilizing US Signal proprietary ticketing software
· Probe customers for most valuable information in relation to trouble for accurate tickets.
· Work customer trouble ticket
· Perform fault isolation and remote testing using Digital Lightwave ASA 312 and NIC test heads, Tellabs 5500 NGX DCS, Adtran 2820/2800 & Telect MIX56 MUX equipment, and Cisco 15454, 15600 and MSTP maintenance and PM functions for various levels of service from T1 to OC192 and 10G DWDM waves
· Troubleshoot various levels of Ethernet and IP related issues using remote secure session access to Core/PE/Premise managed Cisco (7609, 1841, ASR 1000/9000 series) and Adtran (3200 series) routers, and Ethernet aggregation/premise devices (TA5000, 818, 838, etc.) for various levels of service from 3Mb bonded services to Gigabit Ethernet
· Cooperatively test and work with external vendors, partners and LECs to sectionalize and repair network and local loop issues
· Provide continual status updates to customers regarding trouble tickets
· Configure, manage, and troubleshoot cloud based multi-tenant firewall services (Cisco ASR 1002)
· Support US Signal’s cloud-based Data Center solutions (VM, Dedicated Servers, Utility Storage)
· Cooperatively work with other internal US Signal departments such as Engineering and Outside Operations.
· Open internal trouble tickets on USS hardware/software issues and assign to appropriate groups
· Perform provisioning duties to include additions, deletions, moves, & cuts
· Assist USS NOC/NSC on Network Monitoring and provide back-up NOC Surveillance coverage
· Special projects as deemed necessary by USS management

I am very new to this. just looking for any help I can get. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First, welcome to TE.

I'd imagine they'll ask you A) if you've worked with any ticketing software and if so which kinds...I realize they use proprietary software, but a lot of times places will equate a more popular solution to their own internal one, and therefore make that experience semi-relevant. If you don't have any, do some basic reading (check screenshots, videos, etc) on remedy, siebel, something along those lines..so you can at least say you're familiar with the basic layout.

They'll probably ask about your technical experience since I see all the buzzwords (Adtran, Cisco, Tellabs)- again, if you don't have any, I'd at least google each technology mentioned and get a basic product overview. Understand what each does if you can..this will show initiative and probably be damn impressive if you researched it without any prior experience.

If you haven't touched certain technologies, just highlight the fact that you feel confident in your abilities to pick up new technologies/platforms, and you're extremely willing to learn, and excited about the opportunity. This is all speculation of course, but it is based on the crazy amount of interviews I have participated in (on both sides of the table).

You should be good to go, hopefully. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    sagoloussagolous Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for the reply. i greatly appreciate it. I will start studying now.