Options

Monitoring Bandwidth

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Has anyone got much experience on using PRTG to monitor bandwidth usage, and to also check what systems / services is using the bandwidth?
I have the software but no experience on using it. Is it easy enough to configure?

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Yes, I have PRTG setup right now. Free version gives you 10 probes. Not bad to setup as well, infact it can do a network scan and identify network devices/ip addresses. Also have Netmon setup, it works well to find out which user is currently downloading/uploading and gives their totals. DNS works on it too.
  • Options
    controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    When you say Probes, what are the Probes exactly?

E.G I have the software all configured on a dedicated server and the necessary network devices are listed under PRTG Core in the Overview menu.

This was all setup by someone who has now left, so I wasn't involved in it at all.

Is it just a case of adding (what I believe are sensors) for bandwidth to each of the routers I want to monitor?
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I ran a 30 day evaluation copy and I was very impressed at the granularity and the details you can obtain on your network. What impressed me more was the ease of setup and getting my devices on the system monitored. Unfortunately the company did not want to spend the money on it and spent more money on WhatsUpGold which I dislike. WUG is ok, but it requires to many steps and headaches to do simple tasks. WhatsUpGold is counter productive.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    WhatsUpGold

Eeeeeeeeew icon_cyclops_ani.gif

This thread has inspired me to take a closer look at PRTG. I've heard Cacti is great as well.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I use Zenoss as my primary network monitoring system and it does everything I need. I've got various other items in place for sniffing etc..all Linux based freeware with the downside of it being I am the only support avenue.

I have a an entire WIFI overhaul about to start and Cisco's NCS is packaged in there. Anxious to see what type of granularity it brings to the table.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    Eeeeeeeeew icon_cyclops_ani.gif

This thread has inspired me to take a closer look at PRTG. I've heard Cacti is great as well.

We use Cacti to monitor our network infrastructure and it's tied to Weathermap for bandwidth utilization graphing. It's swell!