Options

CBT Nuggets vs?

Hello,

Just wanted to get some feedback for those who use CBT Nuggets and also see what others are using.

My organization utilized SkillSoft this past year for their training program, however we now want to go in a different direction, which let me to CBT.
WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like to use Train Signal along with CBTs. Unfortunately, my company doesn't utilize any program for training staff, they do reimburse on passing tests though :)
    Actually I am mistaken, we often times do send engineers to bootcamps, not sure who the training is provided by though.
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Thanks for the reply. Would you choose one over the other (TrainSignal vs CBT)?
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)

• Options
    CBTNuggets I normally use to get a broad overview of the topics. Train Signal dives a little bit deeper into the subjects. However CBT is good at capturing your attention and trainsignal can at times be a little boring. So both have pluses and minuses.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I suggest checking the corresponding forum for the exam/cert you are going for, i.e. if you're going for CCNA, check out some of the many "I passed"-posts (and similar) to see what others used. Just as with practice exams it often differs per exam. CBTNuggets might be better for some, TS for others.
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Thanks for the replies. The problem with exam specific is my organization is looking for a subscription plan to cover a large range of exams from CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco, Citrix, PMI, ISC2, ITIL, etc.

I definitely think we want the "less boring" one, as a large issue we had will Skillsoft is the workforce felt it was too boring, thus resulting in mediocre desire to train.

If the instructors can capture the audience attention, it would be great. One of the reasons why I'm a huge Darril Gibson fan for his books is I never get bored.

• Options
    colby_arcolby_ar Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    You can check out Global Knowledge. I know some companies in my area that use them. Heard good things
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I don't like CBT Nuggets. My company gave me free full access to their resources, but I've barely used them. Back in the days when I was studying for CCNP, train signal was much better for me.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I used CBT Nuggets for CCNA and they were very helpful.
    However, for MS tests I used TestOut. I just couldn't follow James Conrad as he talks too fast and changes topics too frequently. TestOut lecturers are slow, but I just played the videos at 1.25x.
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I have found the complete opposite.

CBT Nuggets went much into much more details for Microsoft Server 2008, I used TrainSignal for 70-640 Coach Culbertson, then when I started doing some practice exams I realized how much material Coach Culbertson didn't go into enough detail for, or skipped entirely.
    Apparently 70-643 is the absolute worst.

I know TrainSignal did new versions with some other guy but I switched to CBT Nuggets after 70-640, I can't say I like CBT instructor James Conrads style, he does dribble a lot of garbage and talk about his private life too much showing photos hes taken and other crap as a segue into the topic at hand, however he explained everything in depth.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    colby_ar wrote: »
    INE for Cisco

I agree.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Eildor wrote: »
    I agree.

Haven't tried INE but will do,

Company are getting me year subscription to CBT :) so cant moan
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Haven't tried INE but will do,

Company are getting me year subscription to CBT :) so cant moan

INE is EXCELLENT for CCIE in particular; can't beat it. Even if you're not going for the CCIE (like me), you will still learn a lot. INE's CCIE Routing & Switching Advanced Technologies video course alone has a lot of content, over 80 hours worth. Brian McGahan is an exceptional instructor! :)
  • Options
    Yup I really like INE too. I especially like them because their CCNA video series is free :)
  • Options
    AveniAveni Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNA CCNP cbtnuggets rocks and yup for CCIE either its r/s or sp then INE is the best there
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I used skillsoft for comptia and it was very good
    cbt nuggets for A+ was alright I guess

cbt nuggets and trainsignal are good for ccna, but cbt nuggets is better in my opinion

the compsoc videos are alright but no where near cbt
    meh
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    learninggate? they have multi-user plans for training videos...
    & safari for ebooks...