Options

Active Directory best study materials ?

Hi Guys , I am a ccna and I am doing my MCITP to increase the chances to get hired , I am starting with 70-640( Active Directory ) my question is this , which materials do you think it will be the best to learn and pass the exam , also , does it make a different to read the Active Directory R2 or used the old version?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Since the exams are focused on R2, you will need the R2 materials to pass. As for which study materials are the best, that is up for debate. Most will say to use the MS-Press series and then supplement with something else. This can be other books like sybex, technet, cbt nuggets, etc. Most importantly, lab lab lab. When you get done with that, lab some more.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Personally, I prefer the Microsoft Press books and CBT Nuggets for the Microsoft exams. I've found that the two sources cover just about everything, and doing a little bit of extra-curricular studying through TechNet notes and howto docs doesn't hurt either.

One thing that might be helpful for you, though, is to look at the 70-642 exam to start. That's the network infrastructure exam, which might be a little easier to approach coming from the CCNA. It doesn't really matter which order you do 70-640 and 70-642 in, but have a look at the exam blueprints for each and see what you'd be most comfortable starting with.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    I recommend going the 642, 640, 646 route using the MS Press R2 books as good foundation. The 70-642 covers a ton of DNS and will overlap in the Active Directory exam.
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • Options
    luberguilarteluberguilarte Member Posts: 112
    Thank you guys for all , I got one more question , where do I get the labs for the R2 for all the test , any free or paid side that I can get it from ?
    the purpose for me to obtain the mcitp is to enhance my chances to get hired and then concentrate myself with ccnp and ccie. Is hard to keep my studies without being on the field , and I opt to do the microsoft to see if can get hired faster , I have all my hopes here , I think that both cert at least will give me a chance for an entry level roll .
    Thanks once more..............
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The Microsoft Press books all contain labs at the end of each chapter that you're recommended to work through as you study. Grab a trial of Server 2008 R2 and set up some virtual machines to get started. Other than that, TechNet has some excellent virtual labs you can check out.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.