Options

CPTP (Certified Penetration Testing Professional)

CPTP is a lesser-known cert by Tranchulas. Not to be confused with eCPPT (Certified Professional Penetration Tester). Apparently it has a fully hands-on exam (similar to OSCP and eCPPT). It caught my attention because the exam is supposedly free to all DOD personnel. Does anyone know anything about this program?

Comments

• Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It looks interesting. I think I may take this in april or so...

The CPTP cost $1,000.00 USD and the CWASP costs $750.00 USD. This includes the exam for each respective certification. The certification does not expire... for now. The training runs about 24 hours or so performed through WebEx. You have 90 days to play after the training. When you are ready for the CPTP exam you take it online (of course) and The exam consists of hacking 3 out of 5 machines. The prerequisite for the CPTP is knowing TCP/IP so you may not need to know any particular programming language but I think it might help.
  • Options
    This is a failrly new exam - even to the organization. I did a little more digging to find out how long the exams are and I am waiting to hear back from them. They also updated the course schedule for the CPTP is 30 hours. The CWASP coarse is 15 hours.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I already contacted them and heard back from them. The exam is 24 hours, which includes a PenTest of 5 systems in a sandbox (so not nearly as complex as OSCP). Within the 24 hours, you have to do the PenTest and generate a report. The exam is evaluated by the quality of the report, to include both content (vulnerabilities discovered, exploited, and fix actions provided) and presentation.
  • Options
    And the free for DOD personnel claim is not accurate. They told me that to just take the test, its $250 standard rate, and $50 for DOD.
  • Options
    overbrook1989overbrook1989 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hutch

Iam Ray in the Philly area, and Iam in school for cyber security.. Iam studying for my security+ cert as this will be my first cert. I seeking entry work in the security are and I love firewalls.. Any certs and or info that you may know of that will better help me to gain employment in this field?? If you have any materials/certs/sw, that you can share pleaselet me know..

Ray
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is the training provided online? And what is the DoD cost for the course?
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for looking into it! I blow $50 on food or other crap anyway so I might give this a go soon.
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Is the training provided online? And what is the DoD cost for the course?

I didn't really ask them about the course. At $50 for the exam, I thought it would be a fun challenge for a small amount of money. I have little interest in taking any course besides PWB, and I don't have the money to throw away on that right now. But I'll send a follow up email and repost as soon as I find out.
  • Options
    I have not heard back from them yet....The training and workshops are provided Online, and public or private on-site training. Tranchulas - Information Security Training